compile error..

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/compile error..

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2006) [#1]
Building .tiledrop
Compiling:.tiledrop.bmx
flat assembler  version 1.64
4 passes, 51844 bytes.
Linking:.tiledrop.debug
sh: g++-3.3: command not found
Build Error: Failed to link /home/bob/BlitzMax118_Linux/BlitzMax/samples/birdie/games/tiledrop/.tiledrop.debug
Process complete

I have gcc-3.3.6 in /usr/bin so im not sure why this isnt working.

Any help would be awsome. I am useing Slackware 10.2 .

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2006) [#2]
bumpy...

Is the linux side of max really this dead ?? must be some of you with a bit of knolwedge on the matter..

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2006) [#3]
bumpppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

/me walks off pulling his hair out and screaming at the walls.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#4]
First up, you might want to upgrade to 1.20.

The problem is this line:

sh: g++-3.3: command not found

bmk is trying to call the g++-3.3 compiler and is not finding it. I doubt this is a simple naming problem, so I'd guess that g++ 3.3 is not installed properly on your system.

The problem with Linux support is the number of distros. The only one recommended by BRL is Ubuntu. I don't recall seeing anyone else on the boards using Slackware, so you may be on your own. I use (and only rarely) Fedora, so I can point you in the right directions, buit won't be able to do much more I'm afraid...

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2006) [#5]
WOOT a reply. :)

thanks .. Gcc got installed by the slackare installer so i doubt its installed wrong.

Erm I think I have 1.20 but i will check just to be sure.

is there a file or path some place i can chenge or check to make sure bmk is looking in the right place for gcc?

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2006) [#6]
the following are in

/usr/bin/

gcc
gcc-3.3
gcc-3.3.3
gcc-3.3.6

the 3.3 is a renamed 3.3.3 iv also tried renaming 3.3.6 as I cant find a source for the version 3.3

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#7]
It's g++-3.3 that bmk is looking for, not gcc-3.3.

I would triple check that the full g++ developer package and libraries are installed - might it be a slimmed down version that got installed with slackware?

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#8]
gcc is a c-compiler... g++ is a c++ compiler... and Max needs them both to work on Linux.

Do as Mark says above. Chances are (by the sound of it) it's missing from your installation of Linux.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2006) [#9]
i will check that.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2006) [#10]
renamed g++ to g++-3.3 and it worsk but its as slow as a dead duck thats dead and got run over by a HUGE truck.

so I guess thats maby just ma gfx drivers..

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#11]
Yup, gfx drivers is the next bit of Linux flavoured fun that you will need to sort out. No idea where to start there, but it involved a recompile of bits of linux here. Hardly newbie friendly...

At least it compiled straight after sorting g++, there's normally a gazillion developer libraries to sort out before even get to the dead duck stage...

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2006) [#12]
Yeah I think I just need to configure my current vga drivers, some one suggested that as default they are not hardware accelerated, so i am currently trying to find out how to do that..

Sub_Zero(Posted 2006) [#13]
Are you using Ati or Nvidia?

Zumwalt(Posted 2006) [#14]
/usr/bin> sudo link gcc gcc-3.3
/usr/bin> sudo link g++ g++-3.3

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#15]
/usr/bin> sudo link gcc gcc-3.3
/usr/bin> sudo link g++ g++-3.3

Thanks, that got it working on a fresh install on Fedora Core 6 for me.