Emulate Linux on Winxp?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Emulate Linux on Winxp?

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hi!

Is there a freeware program to emulate linux under win32?

I'd just like to port my app over to it without having to install it.

Grisu

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#2]
Check out this thread:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=57850

Specifically this line:
If you want to check it out, they have an 'embedded' version on the website that runs in Windows.

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#3]
This is really cool stuff.
Though I'm a complete newbie to linux.

I managed to download and run the distribution inside windows.
Worked well.

Though, get I get access to a hdd/ mount a hdd while windows is running? Or do I need to boot from a cd/stick?

I just want to get bmx ide up and running,

FlameDuck(Posted 2006) [#4]
Generally there are two ways you can go about doing this. One is DSL embeded Linux, the other is VMWare Player.

Now since you're a self-confessed Linux newbie, I would think playing around with VMWare Player and finding a suitable image, would be the lesser of two evils (the other would be messing around in /etc/fstab and aptitude trying to get all the mounts/packages you need). If you can find an Ubuntu WMware image, that would probably be very close to ideal (as far as BlitzMAX is concerned).

Jams(Posted 2006) [#5]
"I'd just like to port my app over to it without having to install it."

You dont need to install linux to run it, you can download a 'Live' CD which boots the OS straight from the CD, no permanent changes to your HD :)

Grisu(Posted 2006) [#6]
The problem for me is there are so many differemt distribution packages. And I don't know which way to go.

Also if I run linux from a hdd. Can I then point to my hdd and install the bmx files?

Third. EAAAAAAAAAK. I need to get my dsl to work under linux as well because there is no full distibution package for bmx1.20+magui.

Ouch, this seems to be complicated for linux newb.

Maybe, I should just ask someone to port it over for me....

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#7]
I've no specific knowledge of Bmax use, but as another Linux n00b I've had nothing but good Linux experiences with Ubuntu - which is handy, since it's the distro most favoured for Bmax use, it seems.

And yes, you can play with it (and other distros) with a Live CD, then you can 'mount' your windows HD with your Bmax stuff on it and read it from there.

So.. uh... Ubuntu. Recommended - at least from a Linux perspective.

I'd be more specific, but I'd hate to give you a bum steer due to my ignorance. Google loves you, though. :o)