BlitzMax IDE Linux compiled version?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/BlitzMax IDE Linux compiled version?

AlexO(Posted 2006) [#1]
The main thing that's keeping me from switching to Linux is lack of a decent IDE for Blitzmax. the default one has

-no auto-tabbing

- the help/docs page renders as if its some image and not an html page.

- Pressing F1 to quick jump to the function/method you need doesn't work as it just puts you at the top of this huge list of functions and you have to search through it yourself.

- Very slow rendering on large files(as-in I can see the actual screen being rendered piece by piece) when viewing .bmx files.

I do not own the MaxGUI module so the community one I cannot compile on my own in linux. And I found it rather strange that the i386.zip in sourceForge only contains a windows executable... :(.

The above and native compiling/running is all I want in an IDE. Does the community version compiled in linux fix any of these issues or is there any other IDE that could possibly be a solution?

Running VMWare isn't convienent to just code in Blitzmax.

Matt McFarland(Posted 2006) [#2]
Gotta be honest with you, the .NET IDE style blows MaxIDE away. even .NET GUI is 10x better than MaxGUI.

I believe kde or gnome comes with a visual basic equivilent (or something like that?) that can design forms and IDE's, faster, and better than MaxGUI can.

AlexO(Posted 2006) [#3]
Well is there one that supports Blitzmax? I've tried a .NET IDE style app, BliDe for Windows and it was great, but I didn't suspect anything like that would exist in Linux. All I want to do is code Blitzmax in Linux with minimal hassle :). Or are you saying kde/gnome has one that I could somehow code functionality into to support Blitzmax? If so I would seriously consider undertaking that...

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#4]
My Linux install only has gcc4, so from a comment by skid a while back probably wouldn't be binary compat with most people's Linux installs. If I get time this weekend I'll try to install gcc3.3 and build a version, but my Linux box is a bit small and crammed...

AlexO(Posted 2006) [#5]
Thanks, much appreciated :).

Idk if this would help, but I did this to be able to compile my projects in linux, so it is a bad thing to use gcc4 and symlink it to g++-3.3? Or am i comfusing g++ with gcc and they are two different terms/concepts?

Hi bubbz,

I had the same problem. BlitzMAX should really use g++ rather than g++-3.3.

To fix it, you need to create a symlink (the Linux equivalent of a shortcut) called g++-3.3 which points to your existing g++ compiler.

First you need to open up a terminal and find out where your existing g++ compiler is by typing in "whereis g++"
Navigate to that folder using the cd command ("cd <path to folder containing g++>")

To create the symlink, do this:

sudo link g++ g++-3.3

And enter your root password (SUSE, Fedora etc.) or your own password (Ubuntu, Kubuntu).

I don't know exactly where g++ is located on SUSE / Fedora etc, but on Ubuntu it is in /usr/bin

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#6]
skid said in another thread a few days ago something along the lines of "if you compile using gcc4, it will only work on a linux distro that has the gcc4 libraries installed - most only have the gcc3 libraries installed".

i.e. for maximum compatibility, you should compile using a real gcc3, not a symlinked version.

My Linux box will run & compile max programs, including the IDE, but it is using gcc4, not gcc3. Hence I'd like to investigate further before generating a distributable "exe".

But to be honest, I don't really know enough about linux or any of this gubbins to know whether I've interpreted those comments correctly...I'd much prefer someone more knowledge about linux, with maxgui to volunteer to build linux versions of the ide...

Kernle 32DLL_2(Posted 2006) [#7]
try this [url]http://developer.berlios.de/projects/blitzmaxgtk/[/url]
this is another ide and a gtk modul, but it is not final.