SUSE 10.0 and BlitzMax?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/SUSE 10.0 and BlitzMax?

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello, I have just received SUSE 10 in the mail today, due to the fact that I felt that this was amongst the best forms of Linux available. However, how does this fair up when it comes to developing and running games written in BlitzMax? Was this better than Red Hat or Ubuntu when it comes to Linux?

Also, I did receive a book on Ubuntu as well. Just glad I have a partitioned HDD and an external HDD so I can install both of them. However, which one of these do you feel would work better with BMax?

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#2]
Ubuntu is what BRL are recommending.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=58094

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#3]
Okay, I understand that. I'll probably run Ubuntu and BMax on my external HDD, and run SUSE 10 on my main HDD which I partitioned. That appears to be the best strategy.

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#4]
Well, proof is in the pudding right here, SUSE installed using the Gnome setup:

I guess this voids my warranty with Dell. So much for foreign support at a time like this...

QuietBloke(Posted 2006) [#5]
I bit the bullet this week and installed SUSE 10.0 after a rather hefty download. I eagerly downloaded BlitzMax and Lo.. it didnt work.. wouldnt compile anything. So.. not to be deterred I checked the forums and founds a simple symbolic link for gcc, g++ fixed that. Even then the demo's didnt work.. It seemed that only when I changed them to windowed apps would they work and they were pig slow. In fullscreen mode failed on startup. I was going to give up because SUSE doesnt seem to be supported but then I thought.. hmmm.. someone else mentioned that by defualt MESA is used and its very slow and that I should get the latest drivers for my card. So... I selected the NVidia drivers from YAST and rebooted and JOY !.. it all seems to work. WooHoo.
When ending an app I do still get an error message ( Unhandled Exception:appstub.linux signal handler 11 ) which maybe someone here can explain to me but... I just wanted to let people know that SUSE works with very little effort.

bubbz(Posted 2006) [#6]
I've been using bmax in suse all along, a previous thread contains all the info you probably need:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=47356

Sub_Zero(Posted 2006) [#7]
In theory BMX should run on all linux distributions with an x window system.