Err, IDE?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Err, IDE?

VP(Posted 2006) [#1]
Righty-o. I've got everything up and running nicely on Ubuntu (5.10). Stuff compiles and runs without a problem.

However... I want to change the font in the IDE but when I click on the font name, the IDE hangs. This is a fresh install, no weird chicanery at all. Off I went in search of the community IDE, browsed to the SourceForge site, quite happily read the fact that it supports Linux... to find that it flipping well doesn't support Linux unless I want the 1.14 version and want to compile it myself, except I need to buy the GUI mod!

This sucks, dudes :(

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#2]
If the official IDE hangs the font requester the community version will likely hang, and if you had maxgui for free you'd be faced with debugging someone else's software (probably mine) which would suck even more.

Have you installed any fonts or applications other than from the standard ubuntu distribution?

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#3]
Ignoring the greater problem, you may be able to manually edit the IDE configuration file to set the font you want.

VP(Posted 2006) [#4]
...which is what I managed to do ;)

I'm now semi-happy about it but I sympathise with the Linux-only folks out there that have paid $80 for a product that doesn't work correctly. It might only be a superficial problem, but it still extremely irritating.

If I was really clever, I would roll my own IDE. I'm not though, so I wont.

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#5]

...and if you had maxgui for free you'd be faced with debugging someone else's software (probably mine) which would suck even more.

Argh... it would indeed ;-)

However, in the interests of clarity with regards the underlying problem, it appears that the trouble exists because selecting an item in a list programmatically generates an event... which is fine if you are expecting it to...
...unlike the "someone else's software" which certainly doesn't expect that to happen.
so, here's a fix for the Linux Font requester which appears (on my machine at least) to allow you to USE the font requester without any hangs (read infinite loop caused by event generation).

In fltkgui.bmx, you'll need to make some changes to the TFontRequest type.
Add this field :
Field   ignoreEvent:Int = False

in the method RefreshFont() add
ignoreEvent = True

and in the method Request(pfont) change the case statement thus
Case fontbox
    If Not ignoreEvent Then
        family=SelectedGadgetItem(fontbox)
        refreshfont
    Else
        ignoreEvent = False
    End If

Obviously this change only fixes the font requester and not the IDE. You'd have to rebuild that too if you wanted that sorted...

Oh... and if the "code generating events" thing is ever fixed this hack is no longer required - in fact, it'll probably break the requester ;-)

Anyhoo.... enjoy people :-)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#6]
it appears that the trouble exists because selecting an item in a list programmatically generates an event...

I'm pretty sure I saw skidracer say that events should *never* be generated from programmatic selections earlier this week. Therefore you should raise the above as a bug in MaxGUI. That should fix both the requestfont and event firing problems.

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#7]
I think it was December when I raised it originally... and I think the response went something like "argh, max shouldn't be creating it's own events"....

...unless he's forgotten all about it of course ;-)