Linux on a bootable USB stick

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Linux on a bootable USB stick

EOF(Posted 2006) [#1]
Anyone got a Blitzmax-friendly linux edition installed on a bootable USB stick?

If so,

1) What version of Linux?
1) What size (in MB) would you recommmend for the stick?

Ta.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#2]
I think FlameDuck got some way towards doing this, possibly with PuppyLinux?

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#3]
I can't comment on 'BlitzMax-friendly' specifically, but Flameduck has previously mentioned that Debian-based distros tend to snuggle up to BlitzMax a bit more than others, and this one has Debian ties...

www.damnsmalllinux.org
Damn Small is small enough and smart enough to do the following things:
Boot from a business card CD as a live linux distribution (LiveCD)
Boot from a USB pen drive
Boot from within a host operating system (that's right, it can run *inside* Windows)
Run very nicely from an IDE Compact Flash drive via a method we call "frugal install"
Transform into a Debian OS with a traditional hard drive install
Run light enough to power a 486DX with 16MB of Ram
Run fully in RAM with as little as 128MB (you will be amazed at how fast your computer can be!)
Modularly grow -- DSL is highly extendable without the need to customize

As far as the size of the stick required, DSL is made to fit into 50MB so something at least that big, I guess. :o)

If you want to check it out, they have an 'embedded' version on the website that runs in Windows.

EOF(Posted 2006) [#4]
If you want to check it out, they have an 'embedded' version on the website that runs in Windows
Great. It works via emulation so that saves mucking around with linux partitions and master boot records ..

I've no idea how to get Max Linux working though.
I keep getting

Error while opening shared libraries: libGL

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#5]
You will need to download and install the relevant development packages. The above message means it hasn't found the GL dev library, so you'll need to get that first, but you can expect to need a few more... I don't know DSL, so can't advise where you need to be looking...