Linux on old machine

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Linux on old machine

wizzlefish(Posted 2006) [#1]
I have a Windows 95 machine from about 1995, and I'm thinking of installing Linux on it. Which distro/version would work best for an old computer?

I don't really need that much capability, just something that I can mess around with - I want to get familiar with Linux.

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#2]
What kind of specs?

CPU, RAM, HD, video card?

If you're thinking about using blitzMax on it, then the biggest limiting factor is probably going to be the video adapter -- BlitzMax *really* needs a hardware accelerated 3D card, and any card over a decade old is likely going to be severely deficient... Expect excruciatingly slow screen updates from a blitzmax app on such a system.

Robert(Posted 2006) [#3]
I have a Windows 95 machine from about 1995, and I'm thinking of installing Linux on it. Which distro/version would work best for an old computer?

This article may be helpful:

http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=06/02/13/1854251

wizzlefish(Posted 2006) [#4]
I have no idea of the specs, it's less than a 666Mhz I think...HD has got to be only a few Gigs or less, little or no video card, and probably about 64-128MB of RAM. I could be wrong though...

And I'm not planning to use BlitzMax on it. I just want to mess around with Linux a bit.