BlitzMax on Elive

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/BlitzMax on Elive

Mikko222(Posted 2006) [#1]
Hello all! If you want linux-distro, that works well with BlitMax, try this:

Elive! (0.4) Link to the loading page (torrent):
http://elivecd.org/gb/Main/News/_articles/13.html

It's, like name says, live-cd. MaxIDE works straight from boot. Regognizes atleast my ATi radeon 9600.

Install these packages with synaptic, nothing else needed:

g++3.3
libglu1-xorg-dev
libasound2-dev

...and then you can compile programs. All from live-cd, just try!

One bad thing... no SATA-drive support yet.

MarkT(Posted 2006) [#2]
Does is work in e17 as well? or 16?

Kernle 32DLL_2(Posted 2006) [#3]
e17 & e16 are only windowmanagers....so i think it would work on the right distribution.

Fr3eMaN

MarkT(Posted 2006) [#4]
I was wondering if it worked in e17, its almost guarenteed to work in e16.

gman(Posted 2006) [#5]
this is very interesting. actually running from a elive liveCD now :) i have a quick question, if its a live CD, how does it actually "install" things like BlitzMax or the mentioned packages. does it do anything with the hard drive? do i need to leave the CD session open (a-la puppy linux)?

thx

Mikko222(Posted 2006) [#6]
Hmm... I think it doesn't use hard-drive at all, in live-cd mode. And it doesn't burn anything on cd, so everything is lost after shutdown. It installs packages to memory... (sorry, I'm not linux expert:)

Ofcourse you can install e-live on hard-drive.

gman(Posted 2006) [#7]
thx for the info Mikko222 :) my ultimate goal is to be completely portable with as many BlitzMax environments as i can. EliveCD is very promising. if i can just figure out how to save packages to and install packages from my USB drive i think my portable BlitzMax Linux setup can be an EliveCD and USB drive... potentially even my existing drive that i use for windows. that would be really cool :) that way i could avoid the requirement for an internet connection and be able to dev in BlitzMax Linux wherever im at. ive been searching for this type of Linux setup for quite a while. thx again for pointing out EliveCD!