BlitzMax Linux

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/BlitzMax Linux

Erroneouss(Posted 2006) [#1]
Is there a BlitzMax linux demo? Could you make one, BRL?
Pleaaassseee?

I don't know if I want to buy it, unless I know if it works
on my Linux system. I may have some dependencies that won't
work. I'm having trouble installing a lot of languages on
my system, because I need a different compiler for one
language than I do another. I'd like to try it out first
because I don't have a Windows or Mac. :)

Please tell me if it's possible. Thanks in advance.

Bremer(Posted 2006) [#2]
As far as I know, there is no Linux demo. It has something to do with no good way of limiting it or protecting it on Linux. Remember reading it somewhere, just can't remember exactly where now.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#3]
I think it's also because of the different dependencies of each distro.

But another question: you don't have a Windows PC or Mac, just Linux. In order to post here, you need to have bought a Blitz product. So what gives?

Erroneouss(Posted 2006) [#4]
I have Blitz3D, but I reformatted my Windows HD and installed Linux.

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#5]
you *could* try running the win32 demo under cedega.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#6]
I have Blitz3D, but I reformatted my Windows HD and installed Linux.

aaaaahhhhh, I see....what distro are you using? (Not that I can do anything to help bring about a demo for that distro, but out of interest...)

LuckyPhil(Posted 2006) [#7]
FYI, I'm using gentoo linux and it seems to work here (so far)

Although I had to create a symbolic link to /usr/bin/g++-3.3 so that BlitzMax can compile stuff.

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#8]
Well, I still have Blitz 3D on a Win XP Pro system myself (since I have Win XP Pro on my notebook, I wouldn't want to give up the Pro, since it's such an expensive upgrade for most PCs). However, on my desktop, I did convert totally to Xandros Linux, and I did buy BlitzMax for my desktop. However, whether or not there's and 3D plans for BMax Linux, then that would be great to demo.

However, unlike some other Linux systems, Xandros allows you to use CrossOver to use Windows programs, so Blitz 3D may work with that, not too sure how well it would do, because CrossOver isn't without too many flaws, but at least Xandros holds its own in the Linux department.

My guess about getting a demo, you would need both Windows and Linux on a partitioned HDD, and have WinZip on the Windows side of the drive, in order for Linux to use it on that side. It's confusing, I know, but it can be done if you learn the CrossOver app enough. Then again, you probably would need to spend about $40 USD to get the full version of CO, because they slap you with a 30 day trial. Still cheaper than Micro$oft.