Linux/nvidia

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Linux/nvidia

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#1]
Come one with the skills available, I refuse to believe you cant sort out the really *major* problems that are making max unusable for many people.

Lets see a positive response from brl make people believe that using blitzmax in linux is a viable prospect

Acording to New Scientist there are as many people using linux on the web as mac users...

Release us from windows, I'd *love* to make my creations x-platfrom... (which was one of the main reasins I bought max)

Please dont ignore this its long overdue that brl made a positive statement regarding linux

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#2]
It may seem obvious to you but I have no idea whatsoever what you are referring to.

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#3]
You've know for ages that the linux version of blitzmax has severe problems creating an opengl context

win32 max compiled exe's work fine on my system

with a fx5200 theres no depth buffer
with a gt6600 theres no context

putting this in the bug bin is NOT the response I'm looking for

It is long over due this was fixed

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#4]
The depth buffer report wasn't bug binned (I just bumped it). As for your 6600 reference, I can't find and don't recall the issue. I have a 6600 running fine (albeit sans depth buffer) on Ubuntu currently so without some more details I'm not sure what to suggest.

Anyway, I hear where you are coming from and will have another look at the depth buffer issue next week.

Chris C(Posted 2006) [#5]
You can create multiple opengl contexts in Linux by using fltk2 to create your contexts - It works like a dream depth buffers an all...

skidracer(Posted 2006) [#6]
Hi Chris, I'm hoping the next version of BlitzMax brings you some joy in this department. We're hoping to get it released early next week.

In regards to FLTK2, I've been evaluating porting MaxGUI to use it. Unfortunately there is a serious amount of stuff changed under the hood that I have not found documented, so the alternative maybe to byte the bullet and jump on the GTK2 wagon.

The good thing about GTK2 is it's C style interface means you can talk to it directly with BlitzMax, no need for any C/C++ glue and it looks a little less alien than FLTK2.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#7]

The good thing about GTK2 is it's C style interface means you can talk to it directly with BlitzMax, no need for any C/C++ glue and it looks a little less alien than FLTK2.

FLTK is plain ugly. A move to GTK2 would get my vote.

WedgeBob(Posted 2006) [#8]
I use a 6600 256 MB myself with Xandros (which Xandros does support nVidia quite a lot, might I add). However, with BMax, I'm able to compile the games, but whether or not BMax will actually RUN the compiled games, I haven't figured out how to get that through yet...

Wellmt(Posted 2006) [#9]
Moving from FLTK to GTK2 would be fantastic. Gets my vote too.

Robert(Posted 2006) [#10]

FLTK is plain ugly. A move to GTK2 would get my vote.

I second that. The newest versions of GTK plus Cairo* enabled themes are quite pretty actually.