cannot find -lasound

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/cannot find -lasound

CoderLaureate(Posted 2005) [#1]
Amost there!

The machine I was hoping to install Linux and BMAx on was a bust, the mobo was bad, had to send it back.

So...

I installed Mandrake 10.1 on an instance of Microsoft Virtual PC. It runs great. I installed BMax 1.14 for linux. I can run the IDE. I synchronized all the modules. I created a sudo link to g++.

But...

When I try to compile any of the sample programs I get the following error:
cannot find -lasound

And the build fails.

Any ideas?

JazzieB(Posted 2005) [#2]
You need to install the 'lasound' libs. I had a similar problem under a distro I tried once, although I can't remember which, as I've tried quite a few, and it may have been my current Ubuntu distro. Not familiar with Mandrake, but a search for 'lasound' with your package manager should help.

CoderLaureate(Posted 2005) [#3]
No luck.

Can't find it anywhere. Is there some reason why BRL can't package their product with the libraries needed to run it? They are all open source, so there can't be a copyright reason.

I think I'm just going to stick with Gambas.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#4]
It's the "asound" lib that you're after, not lasound. The "a" stands for ALSA, it may help to search for that.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#5]
libasound

CoderLaureate(Posted 2005) [#6]
No good.

All of it's no good. I found libasound.so.2.0.0 in the /usr/lib directory. That's all I can find. I tried creating symbolic links to this file called libasound, lasound, and asound.

Still no deal.

Same error: ld cannot find -lasound

However: I was able to get Gambas installed and running in 15 minutes...

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#7]
which version of GCC are you using?

CoderLaureate(Posted 2005) [#8]
gcc 3.4.1

The error occures while linking.

Brucey(Posted 2005) [#9]
You might want to try the libasound-dev package.
dev packages tend to have more developer helpful things for compiling against and linking to....

maybe... :-p

CoderLaureate(Posted 2005) [#10]
Well I've gotten past the lasound problem.

Only to get the Cannot find: -lGL error

I've been through all of the forum posts about the -lGL error. I've installed everything mentioned in all of the posts. Except for the libxorg-X11-devel.... packaget because it keeps whining about a missing libfreetype dependancy. I've installed the libfreetype package, and I still can't instal libxorg-X11-devel... because it STILL keeps whining about the missing libfreetype package.

If BRL wants to make any headway in Linux they seriously need to consider a universal installer including all of the libraries needed to compile BMax programs. Plus some kind of runtime distributer to put all of these libraries on other computers you want to distribute your Bmax applications to.

I've spent the last eight hours trying to install this. I think I'm going to throw in the towel on BMax for linux until BRL can get all their ducks in a row. Gambas is interesting, and easy to install.

-Jim

Brucey(Posted 2005) [#11]
When I installed FC4, I just chose all the developer stuff to install, and apart from having to add those two symlinks, everything has worked *very* well indeed.
Thumbs up from here.

Craig Watson(Posted 2005) [#12]
Is there some reason why BRL can't package their product with the libraries needed to run it? They are all open source, so there can't be a copyright reason.

These packages are generally configured and compiled to a particular Kernel and set of dependencies. It may be possible to generally include header files, but the libraries themselves are a little more difficult.

Another case for using packaging it seems.