Which Linux Distro?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Which Linux Distro?

CoderLaureate(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hello everyone.

I just put together a computer last night. I'm going to install Linux on there so that I can compile my games on all three platforms (I should mention I have a Mac, too). My question is, which would be the best linux distribution to use?

What are the things that I'll need to get BMax running on a linux box. I DL'd Fedora last night, but I can get whatever distro works best with BMax.

Any ideas?

Chris C(Posted 2005) [#2]
"best" is a relative time they all have their strong and weak points for ease of use and being upto date I'd recommend Ubuntu Linux

CoderLaureate(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yeah, but I'm not actually looking for the "Best" linux distro. I'm looking for whatever distro works the friendliest with BMax.

If I install BMax on a Linux machine, which is the distro people are having the *least* amount of trouble with?

bradford6(Posted 2005) [#4]
I prefer Fedora core 4. It would be nice to see which distro has the most success. My NVIDIA Geforce 4 MX works great on the Fedora and I use fedora at work so I am more comfortable with it.

my list:
1. Fedora 4
2. Mandriva (Mandrake)
3. Ubuntu

cool thing about linux is that you can try them all and see which one you like the best for the cost of a few CD's

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2005) [#5]
Iv not tried yet but has anyone had Max running on Slackware 9..

CoderLaureate(Posted 2005) [#6]
K, thanks.

I'll try Fedora first. Any other requirements? I had to install XTools on my mac, is there anything I need for the Linux version?

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#7]
We generally recommend Ubuntu.

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#8]
Has anyone managed to create a dual-boot system with Ubuntu?

N(Posted 2005) [#9]
Slackware.

LineOf7s(Posted 2005) [#10]
Slunkar: Yes - I'm running a dual-boot with Ubuntu. The installer specifically asks you if you want to, and if you say yes, voila! :o)

CoderLaureate(Posted 2005) [#11]
Well I installed Fedora Core, and all of the dev tools available with the distro. I dl'd BMax, opened up the tarball copied the file to the desk top. I open up the BMax folder. Nothing happens when I click the the MaxIDE Icon.

I'm running KDE desktop.

As I asked earlier. Are there any tricks needed to get BMax working on Linux?

slenkar(Posted 2005) [#12]
oh.....I didnt get that far, because of all the warnings about deleting all the hard drive info

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#13]
See the sticky threads in this forum (if you run maxide from a terminal after changing to the blitzmax directory and typing ./MaxIDE you will be able to see some error messages to help you on your way).

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#14]
My Fedora Core 4 howto thread details how to get blitz up and running. However, I haven't yet installed Max v1.14, and I think it now forces a compile using gcc3.3 (as opposed to gcc4 using 3.3 compatibiliy libraries), so you may come unstuck when compiling even after following my instructions.

Note to self: must get my linux box hooked back up to t'internet and rectify this...

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#15]
Any Debian variant (like Ubuntu for instance) will probably be a good choice for "My First Linux".

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#16]
i installed ubuntu,
it runs gimp,blender blitzmax no probs
im happy