Whats up Doc(s)?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Whats up Doc(s)?

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#1]
Whats up with the help in the linux version??? nothing i select on the right hand menu gets displayed (or its wrong) and when i click on command ref the whole ide shuts down. Am i missing a dev pack or a docs pack or sommit? Got V1.14

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#2]
Arrgh, I thought I fixed the commandref crash.

Unfortunately, we are definitely in need of a browser upgrade to get the help system usable on Linux, dillo is looking like my preferred choice at the moment, I'll try and syncmods the current version later today so people can start testing.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#3]
What about Gecko for the internal browser? You could use that on all three platforms, it's free and open source.

MrCredo(Posted 2005) [#4]
Just a idea: why do you not open a new WINDOW with target name "blitzmaxhelp". This Site should be opened in default browser ~ firefox or so...

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#5]
What about Gecko for the internal browser?
Let me put in another vote for the Mozilla rendering engine. Tried and tested technology available on all 3 platforms.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#6]
Tried and tested technology available on all 3 platforms.

Not to mention standards compliant.

Wellmt(Posted 2006) [#7]
Yep another vote for Gecko. Mind you *any* working help system would be good. The current version has awful formatting compared to the windows IDE, so I always have to refer to the Wiki.

system11(Posted 2006) [#8]
Still not fixed? Just bought today, hard to learn what functions do when you can't see the usage examples and so on..

Wellmt(Posted 2006) [#9]
Still broken..

bubbz(Posted 2006) [#10]
Please can the doc's display be fixed in linux... v1.20 is even worse for me than previous releases, all the text is displayed ontop of each other!

Wellmt(Posted 2006) [#11]
Dillo, Gecko - any progress?

Sub_Zero(Posted 2006) [#12]
Dillo sucks... (That's my opinion)

Wellmt(Posted 2006) [#13]
It's only got to display some help.

I doubt it could suck worse than the existing help system!

assari(Posted 2006) [#14]
Has anyone tried running my compiled HelpFile (CHM) under Linux? Apparently http://xchm.sourceforge.net/ can read chm files. I do not have the capability to try this out.

You can download the helpfile here http://2dgamecreators.com/?p=11

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#15]
There's always the "quick fix" of changing docmods to output html that will work happily with the current crappy fltk browser.
Of the two directions to head (the other being implementing gecko etc), this would probably require the least effort.

Just a thought :-)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#16]
And a good thought at that. Any idea what causes the fltk browser to barf - is it poorly formated html, or just that the browser is cack and we would need to find alternative formatting methods?

Sub_Zero(Posted 2006) [#17]
In v1.20 I have the same problem as bubbz, text is being displayed on top of each other in the "docs", and some links there just don't work.

@wellmt: I am also thinking about the htmlview functions, not just the docs.

For mozilla/gecko open source, have a look here: http://www.mozilla.org/projects/embedding/

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#18]
The browser is horrid. It's only there for formatting "help" pages as far as I can see, which I can only assume has a very limited set of html tags.
It certainly doesn't support most of the stuff our current docs contain.

The reason it used to work was because the old docs html was very much more basic. maybe it's tables it hates...

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2006) [#19]
I had a quick look at the FLTK docs, and it claims to support HTML 2.0, but only basic support for tables. The problem is, I can't find what tags definitely *are* supported by FLTK in order to scan the docs for the offending items! Sure, I can look up the HTML 2.0 spec, but what does "basic support for tables" mean?

Sub_Zero(Posted 2006) [#20]
Was that the fltk 1.6/1.7 or 2.0 docs? I really hope they fix something in 2.0, maybe we finally can get htmlview to work?

Erroneouss(Posted 2006) [#21]
Ewwww.... Dillo ;\
'Nother vote for Gecko OR KHTML.
If I remember correctly, Dillo doesn't support CSS..

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#22]
The *big* issue I see is trying to integrate *any* of these into fltk, which I assume would be a huge job.

The easiest path would probably be to create a GTK GUI driver for linux first, and then bolt on one of the html engines (which seem to be built on GTK anyways).

(not that I'm saying a GTK UI wouldn't be a huge job either ;-)

WendellM(Posted 2006) [#23]

assari wrote:
Has anyone tried running my compiled HelpFile (CHM) under Linux? Apparently xchm.sourceforge.net/ can read chm files.

Yes. I, too, was unable to view the 1.20 help file (it overtypes itself in Ubuntu 5.10 as described above). I tried the sourceforge link that you supplied and downloaded the debian package, but couldn't do anything with it. So, I dug into Ubuntu's online help and jumped through the necessary hoops to get its xCHM reader going (go into terminal, edit this file, uncomment those lines, download these other repositories, then sudo apt-get install xchm).

After that installed the CHM reader, I was able to open assari's helpful CHM file (which I use in Windows for its search ability) in Ubuntu:

Thanks, assari!

assari(Posted 2006) [#24]
Thats brilliant. Good to know that it works.
Thanks for sharing WendellM

Sub_Zero(Posted 2006) [#25]
@Brucey: I don't believe you when you say it is such a huge job.

www.mozilla.org/projects/embedding/

If anyone just bothered reading a bit at the above link.

bubbz(Posted 2006) [#26]
assari's chm also works great in KchmViewer if you're a kde user:

Of course this doesn't excuse this ongoing issue, but it helps a great deal until things eventually get fixed. Thanks assari.

Sub_Zero(Posted 2006) [#27]
Yes but that's not the problem... You can always launch the documentation in any web browser since the documentation is in html (it's in the doc folder).

The problem is that the createhtmlview function does not work in linux because of this.

Wellmt(Posted 2006) [#28]
The huge problem for me is that context sensitive help is no use due to the screwed up fonts.

It makes learning Bmax on Linux really difficult.