Two games for testing

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Two games for testing

JazzieB(Posted 2005) [#1]
Wasn't quite sure where to put this, but decided it would get the most attention from Linux users here.

For those that don't know, I developed a couple of games in BlitzMax that I later converted to run under Linux. However, when they were run fullscreen the system would lock-up when exiting. This was when compiled with a version of BlitzMax earlier than v1.12. They've since been re-compiled for v1.12 and the problem seems to have disappeared and they exit properly.

As I only have one distro of Linux to test them on (Ubuntu 5.10 on PC), I would like to call upon the community to test under various other distros and setups to see how they fair. The links to the two games are:

Max Invaders:
http://www.sos-software.co.uk/downloads/MaxInvaders_Linux.tar.gz

Worm:
http://www.sos-software.co.uk/downloads/Worm_Linux.tar.gz

Just unpack them to wherever suits you best (root or home folder) and let me know how they run. I would basically like to know the following...

- PC or Mac (and spec, including gfx card) - would aid in gauging a minimum.
- Linux distro and version.
- Whether you have gcc 3 or 4 (or both) installed - just in case this is a factor.

This info might also be of use to others producing software for the Linux platform as well. All help appreciated.

Robert(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hi Jazzie,

Both work correctly here (same distro as you though). I think it would be a good idea to explain to the user how to mark the binary as executable though, otherwise it won't run.

JazzieB(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thanks Robert. I thought they would maintain their 'executable' status when zipped and uploaded, then consequently downloaded by someone else. I'll look into this and see if there's a way of avoiding telling the user how to make a binary executable.

bubbz(Posted 2005) [#4]
Both work fine here. PC, Athlon XP 3200, Nvidia Geforce FX 5700. Running SUSE 10.0, gcc version 4.0.2 20050901 (prerelease) (SUSE Linux).

I also had to set the binary as executable.

Craig Watson(Posted 2005) [#5]
Make them tar.gz instead of zip.

JazzieB(Posted 2005) [#6]
I've now changed the downloads to tar.gz in the original post. That should sort the executable issue out.

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#7]
Cool! Thanks! More more! More Linux BMax games!!

Works fine under SuSE 9.3 after installing the nVidia Drivers
and doing some other junk to make it work...