what the hell..

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/what the hell..

Kernle 32DLL_2(Posted 2005) [#1]
so,i have a new problem.
Now iam able to compile my code, but i cant not build all of my modules...

Building Modules
Compiling:blitz_string.c
/home/Fr3eMaN/programme/BlitzMax112/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_string.c: In function ‘bbStringFromWString’:
/home/Fr3eMaN/programme/BlitzMax112/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_string.c:173: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ‘bbStringFromShorts’ differ in signedness
/home/Fr3eMaN/programme/BlitzMax112/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_string.c: In function ‘bbStringTrim’:
/home/Fr3eMaN/programme/BlitzMax112/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_string.c:231: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ‘bbStringFromShorts’ differ in signedness
Archiving:blitz.debug.linux.a
ar: creating /home/Fr3eMaN/programme/BlitzMax112/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz.debug.linux.a
Compiling:blitz_string.c
/home/Fr3eMaN/programme/BlitzMax112/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_string.c: In function ‘bbStringFromWString’:
/home/Fr3eMaN/programme/BlitzMax112/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_string.c:173: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ‘bbStringFromShorts’ differ in signedness
/home/Fr3eMaN/programme/BlitzMax112/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_string.c: In function ‘bbStringTrim’:
/home/Fr3eMaN/programme/BlitzMax112/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_string.c:231: warning: pointer targets in passing argument 1 of ‘bbStringFromShorts’ differ in signedness
Archiving:blitz.release.linux.a
ar: creating /home/Fr3eMaN/programme/BlitzMax112/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz.release.linux.a

Process complete

where is the mistake?

Fr3eMaN

Robert(Posted 2005) [#2]
They are just warnings, you can ignore them. Building only fails if you get the text "Error: <some problem>".

The text "warning: <some problem>" is just the compiler alerting you to a potential problem when you run the code.

Kernle 32DLL_2(Posted 2005) [#3]
ok, thx for the fast answer. ;)

Fr3eMaN

bubbz(Posted 2005) [#4]
I upgraded to SUSE 10.0, from 9.3 and also have this problem. In addition I get a pop-up saying 'Compile Error: Warning: pointer targets in passing argument of 1......' (there is some other text, but it runs of the edge of the pop-up error window!).

It also opens the blitz_string.c code in the IDE at the line ' return p ? bbStringFromShorts( p,wstrlen(p) ) : &bbEmptyString;'

I assume the fact it says 'Error' makes it more important.... any ideas?

bubbz(Posted 2005) [#5]
Just to add, i've tried deleting the directory and re-extracting from the original archive, then synchronising, before i try 'rebuild modules'

Robert(Posted 2005) [#6]
The only time you have a problem is if it actually says "error" in the text that appears in the output window.

That popup dialog is just a warning which the IDE has misinterpreted as an error. I get that sometimes as well, even though everything continues to build correctly.

I think this is happening because SUSE 10.0 has a newer "more sensitive" version of the gcc compiler.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#7]
The warnings are turning up because of newer distros starting to use GCC4, and Bmax was originally (and still is I believe) built using GCC3. They don't seem to cause any problems...so far...

bubbz(Posted 2005) [#8]
Thanks for your help *again* Robert, I checked the output window text and it was only 'warnings', so i'll just forget all about it :)

Kernle 32DLL_2(Posted 2005) [#9]
jes only 'warnings' but why mark doesn't use the actually version of gcc? Why wh have such a bad linux support? These all are questions, i would like to get a real answer...

Fr3eMaN

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#10]
who is this mark person you are compaining about?

yikes,

try changing line 137 of brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_string.c to

BBString *bbStringFromShorts( const unsigned short *p,int n ){

and 29 of blitz_string.h to

BBString* bbStringFromShorts( const unsigned short *p,int n );

interested to hear if you get any other warnings

Mark Tiffany, we force usage of gcc-v3.3 , of which a newer version with extra warnings I assume is reporting the above.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#11]
hrm, I thought it was compiling with GCC4, but using GCC3.3 compatibility libs on my linux PC. I must admit I didn't dig that deep, or know much about it...

Anyhow, on my Linux PC (running Fedora Core 4), I do get an awfully long list of warnings, if you're interested, I can post them here?

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#12]
After the next syncmods (end of today), yes please.

I'll see if I can't update my Ubuntu tools also.

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#13]
Perhaps he refers to the popular gay icon poster on his wall of "marky mark".

Robert(Posted 2005) [#14]
Mark Tiffany, we force usage of gcc-v3.3

That is not a good idea, several people have reported problems because bmk attempts to call gcc-3.3, which does not exist on many distros (notably Ubuntu / Kubuntu) - the solution (creating a symlink) is not obvious for beginners.

It would be better to either change the GCC command-line parameters to suppress the warnings or refactor the code. If it is imperative that a GCC 3.x version is used, then at least provide some means of specifying the compiler binary from the IDE options menu.