Puppy Linux - an attempt

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Puppy Linux - an attempt

gman(Posted 2005) [#1]
k. so im trying out Puppy Linux. so far i really like it. once i was able to actually burn the ISO while leaving the session open i was up and rolling pretty easily. i have tried, a mutisession Live CD, a Live CD using a USB drive to store everything, and QEMUPuppy that runs inside of windows. Puppy has a gcc distro so im hopeful all the pieces are there to be able to run BMAX.

now to the big question, i have extracted the blitzmax112 directory to /root/my-applications/BlitzMax112 and i can see the files. how in the world do you actually _run_ MaxIDE? man linux really makes me feel stupid sometimes :) i have tried from a command prompt:

MaxIDE
exec MaxIDE
run MaxIDE

exec appears to be a command, run does not. double-clicking opens it up in beaver. whats the trick?

thx :)

on a side note, if i manage to get all this up and running i hope to write up a doc on how i did it. from what ive read, there are a lot of folks just looking for a way to compile on linux but use Win or Mac for their main dev work. a Live-CD type system like Puppy appears to be the way to go if all falls in place and it actually works...

gman(Posted 2005) [#2]
i think i got a little further. i was able to change the properies of MaxIDE to executable/searchable. when i single click it still doesnt run though :(

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#3]
try doing a "./" infront of the programfile..
if you do this in terminal, you'll most likely get a return error if it doesn't run properly..

gman(Posted 2005) [#4]
thx LarsG. will give that a whirl this evening and see what it reports.

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#5]
Additionally, I might reckomend DSL (Damn Small Linux) instead as that installs to a "proper" Debian, which you can then get BlitzMAX working on.

Puppy Linux requires A LOT of mucking about to get BlitzMAX applications running well.

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#6]
I assume both distributions will require BlitzMax to be installed to the user's Home directory and not some root path as mentioned above for correct operation?