Linux

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Linux

twistedcube(Posted 2005) [#1]
Have recently started to work with linux and am really enjoying it. I have mandriva 10.1 (mandrake) my problem is I have downloaded and extracted bmax linux and can't seem to get the executable to run. I have made sure the properites are set to executable. Am I missing something or doing somehing wring this is the first program i am installing that is not from an RPM. Which are really handy i might add. Any ideas from the linux gurus out there. I have seem people posting that they are working with this distro and bmax.

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#2]
I haven't used Mandriva, but you can try some stuff which makes it work on other distros..
Make sure you install the development packages.
(or atleast, Mandrivas equvivalent of;
gcc
g++
xlibs-dev
xlibmesa-gl-dev
xlibmesa-glu-dev
libxxf86vm-dev
)

Does Mandriva use GCC4? in which case you need to install the older GCC3.4 packages (would guess you need both normal and development lib)

also, search mandrivas forums for getting 3D accelleration drivers to work on your distro (if they are not currently working)

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#3]
What error does it give? try running it from a console.

twistedcube(Posted 2005) [#4]
Not really sure coming for a windows enviroment to this is different. All I did was extract to desktop and tried to execute the exe my double clicking. Now I'm finding out I think that not how its done. I've been messing with the console a bit. I have to find a cheat sheet for the commands. DOS back in the helped with a few but for most part not even close. I'm going to keep playing wiht it anyone you runs it this enviroment suggestions would be apprecated.

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#5]
then I'd suggest you run it from console, like Flamey here says.. and report back what error message it returns..
Then you can take it from there.. :)

Craig Watson(Posted 2005) [#6]
Since the IDE is dynamically linked, it's usually a lack of a required library that causes it not to launch.

I would suggest you open a terminal/console and move to the BlitzMax directory, then run the following
ldd BlitzMax
You should get a list of all the dependencies and it will show those which could not be found.

Either paste the list of dependencies here and we can attempt to find them for you, or use your package manager to find them if it has the ability to search for actual files in packages.

This is a basic list of commands you can use in a terminal and how they'd map back to DOS commands.

twistedcube(Posted 2005) [#7]
thanks to everyone that helped with this. I was missing a dependant file while I was able to install easily. Now I just have to make it be able to save the file. I'm guessing I'll have to adjust the write access to the dir or the file.

Craig Watson(Posted 2005) [#8]
I'd suggest you try to locate the file within an RPM and install it that way rather than downloading individual files. Trying to manually manage individual files with follow-on dependencies isn't fun. That's why package managers were invented :P

You can become root from a terminal with "su", or execute an individual command with root permission using "sudo command".

The "chmod" command allows you to change general permissions to files and folders. I would suggest you try to manage permissions through a graphical file manager or do some research on the chmod command before you try to use it though - it's important to fully understand the impact of changing permissions.