linux and bmax

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/linux and bmax

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#1]
will bmax run on all versions of linux?
what are other people using, as i want to try it on one of my pcs but there are so many i dont know where 2 start

bradford6(Posted 2005) [#2]
Try Fedora 4 or Debian
I would start with the major distros. IF you are new to Linux, find a distro that has a video driver for your platford. (like an RPM)

computercoder(Posted 2005) [#3]
Best bet is to try getting a LIVE CD if you are new to Linux. These CDs allow you to try out the distro on you PC without installing anything.

Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Linspire and Knoppix are all DEBIAN based distrobutions that are fairly easy and generally have drivers for what components are out there.

SuSE 9 or 10 is a great RPM system.

Fedora Core 4 is also RPM (considering they built the RPM system) but is a bit more of a Linux Guru distrobution.

ANY of these distros will run BMax. There are a few HOWTOs out for different distros, so if you get a bit overwhelmed, try out one of those to point you or guide you to getting BMax and the specified distro running. ALL the HOWTOs assume you have the distro installed.

I agree completely with bradford6 on this.

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#4]
Blitz Research Ltd use Ubuntu Linux.
I would go for that distro.. It's very eary to install, and the look and feel of it is very nice too.. :)

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#5]
I think BRL use Red Hat 9, part of why I picked Fedora Core for myself. It was pretty painless for me; although I do have an entirely separate HD for Win & Mac which no doubt helped.

Craig Watson(Posted 2005) [#6]
BRL use Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is probably one of the best if you're new to Linux. It fits on one CD and doesn't overwhelm you with applications. Please note though that you'll need an internet connection to install some of the development libraries Blitz needs.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#7]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=49650&hl=redhat

Look at the second post. From skid himself. One month ago. They may well have Ubuntu too of course...

Craig Watson(Posted 2005) [#8]
Please read:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=50544&hl=ubuntu

Although I don't doubt things are compiled under something old and established like Redhat 9.0 for better compatibility.

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#9]
I would recommend you get a debian variant (Xandros or Ubuntu). FC4 uses a lot of experimental software (most noticably GCC4) and getting BlitzMAX to work with it could be problematic, depending on your level of confidence with Linux.

Craig Watson(Posted 2005) [#10]
For the record, any advice regarding Ubuntu and GCC 4 will be less relevant once Breezy is released in mid-October. Most other distros will be running with GCC 4 for their next versions too.

BlitzMax can compile with GCC 4 fine, but will require GCC 3 compatibility packages to run on most machines. These are available on all distros running GCC 4 as standard AFAIK.

Currently if you choose to work with BlitzMax on a GCC 4 machine, any GCC 3 machines you distribute your work to will require GCC 4 compatibility packages. I know that the current version of Ubuntu also has these packages.

As long as you use RPM or Deb packages to distribute your software, 99% of the popular distros are going to find the dependencies you need and install them fine. Probably it's worth us creating some documentation on how to build binary RPM and Deb packages for everyone here.

It's also likely that once the source for BMK and the IDE is released we'll be able to force Blitz to compile a GCC 3 target if preferred.

The reason I've been railing against GCC 4 based distributions is because until recently, a lot of code other than Blitz had problems with it, including the ATI video drivers. Naturally this would be a major problem for most people unfamiliar with Linux. The ATI drivers, along with plenty of other apps now compile OK for GCC 4, so it's not such a big deal anymore.