HOWTO: Fedora Core 4

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/HOWTO: Fedora Core 4

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#1]
You should be able to get BlitzMax up and running by ensuring that the following packages are installed using "Add/Remove Programs":

- Development Tools
- X Software Development
- Legacy Software Development

You may find (as I did) that these packages don't install nicely (the X package in particular for me). If this is the case, you can manually install the key bits of the latter two manually using yum for the following:

xorg-x11-devel
compat-libstdc++-33

Don't forget to "Synchronise Modules" and "Rebuild All Modules" in the BlitzMax IDE before you try to compile and run anything.

This should get Blitz running and compile basic programs such as Print "Hello World!". However, you may find errors, or very poor performance with graphical stuff if you haven't installed graphics drivers for your graphics card.

NIVIDIA: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_archive.html

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#2]
In Add Remove programs is there a Legacy Compiler section and also a generic X Development Tools, I'm pretty sure this howto shouldn't feature any manual package installations.

Craig Watson(Posted 2005) [#3]
I thought Blitz compiled with GCC4 (or whatever the default GCC is on the system.) The compatibility libraries are just so the IDE and tools (which were compiled with GCC3) can run.

Fedora Core 4 most definately does not come with OpenGL accelerated drivers for ATI or NVidia. You'll probably find everything works nicely once you download the drivers for your card.

If you're actually using a TNT2 M64 the newest drivers you can use are http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_1.0-7174.html Not sure how much luck you'll have building them, but you may be able to locate some sort RPM for Fedora Core 4 with that version of NVidia's drivers.

The newer drivers on NVidia's site no longer support legacy hardware.

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#4]
The IDE and other BlitzMax binaries will have a dependency on 3.x for the forseeable future. I think default build of BlitzMax apps should force gcc-3.3 perhaps for the sake of maximum compatability.

Craig Watson(Posted 2005) [#5]
It'd be good if BlitzMax was able to build 3.3 binaries itself too. There's no problem installing GCC 3.3 onto Fedora 4 for example, and then using it to compile code compatible with Ubuntu 5.04. Some apps currently won't compile under GCC 4 such as MPlayer - making them compile under Fedora involves installing the old compiler packages and configuring the MPlayer build process to use GCC3.3

Ubuntu 5.10 will be using GCC 4 as standard, and will be released a month from now.

I'd actually prefer if we could make the GCC build version configurable for power users, which is one of the many reasons I want to look at BMK.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#6]
Agreed on the Add/Remove front, although every time I try to do something in there it moans about dependencies and stops, so I would have had to manually install anyway.

I am really using a rather old PC. I'll be in receipt of a nice new laptop soon, which is part of why the older PC is in the process of becoming a Linux plaything.

Just looking at the nvidia drivers now: they don't make this easy do they? Wish me luck!

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#7]
Drivers installed, and it all appears to work! Although it looked painful, it wasn't. I've updated the howto, want to make this sticky and delete the above posts?

Progi1984(Posted 2005) [#8]
i've downloaded the setup and the update ! But I didn't see a BlitzMax-setup or anything else ! How do i update the blitzmax ?

Sorry for my english, I'm french !

Craig Watson(Posted 2005) [#9]
This should probably be asked in another thread.

You have to extract the 1.09 file and then extract the 1.10 file over the top of it.

Once you've done that there'll be a file called BlitzMax in the folder you extract to. Run that, then synchronize modules. Once you've synchronized the modules you should rebuild all modules.

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#10]
There is no setup program on Linux, just untar the download and run BlitzMax IDE directly. When applying updates, it's a simple copy & paste of the new files over the old files. As for synchronising modules, you will find this inside the IDE on one of the menus.

ghislain(Posted 2005) [#11]
Great it worked for me! Even on my laptop!

Like you wrote I selected:
- Development Tools
- X Software Development
- Legacy Software Development

and finally:
yum install compat-libstdc++-33

Even though I didn't do anything, somehow the graphics stuff are working just fine.
glxgears indicated over 1500 fps..

Great!

Grover(Posted 2005) [#12]
Hi. I have been trying to get 1.12 running on Fedora core, and it keeps bawking with problems about the libstdc++ (even when I smylink one in). I have the Legacy packages and development packagaes installed. Im wondering if there is something I have missed?

Grover(Posted 2005) [#13]
Strike that :) .. I manually installed the packagaes and all worked fine. Must be doing something odd in the package manager?

Progi1984(Posted 2005) [#14]
On Fedora Core 4, i have this problem with 1.12,

I install all packages, and when i want to rebuild all modules, i have this error message :

Building Modules
Compiling:blitz_app.c
sh: gcc-3.3: command not found
Build Error: failed to compile /home/Franck/Install/BlitzMax112/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c
Process complete

Phobos(Posted 2005) [#15]
I have the same problem!

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2005) [#16]
I believe 1.12 and above no force compilation with gcc 3.3. The error above is caused by you not having gcc 3.3 installed (FC4 uses gcc4 as standard now).

(hence the gcc-3.3 : command not found error)

Not sure of the package name that you need, but you should be able to find it easily enough.

Brucey(Posted 2005) [#17]
Well, this is interesting.
I thought I would try out 1.14 on my FC4 box for the first time....

Trying to compile a .bmx file, I get a g++-3.3 not found error.

So, I do a "type g++" to find out where the main binary is, and subsequently do "ln -s g++ g++-3.3" in my /usr/bin dir.

The samples now all compile with no problems.

Nextly, I tried to build the modules. This time I get a gcc-3.3 not found error.
I follow the same process again, creating a symlink from gcc to gcc-3.3.

The modules now build, albeit with some warnings (which look like they'll be there whether I'm using gcc4 or not)

FC4 works great, almost straight out of the box :-)

Kernle 32DLL_2(Posted 2005) [#18]
ok, the solution:
[code] sudo link /usr/bin/gcc /usr/bin/gcc-3.3
sudo link /usr/bin/g++ /usr/bin/g++-3.3
[code]

oh i forgott, at first would be good to know where gcc and g++ are. So "whereis gcc" "whereis g++"
Thats it

Fr3eMaN

Phobos(Posted 2006) [#19]
Thank you, it works now!!!

CoderLaureate(Posted 2008) [#20]
Thought I should let people know the same steps in this thread worked on fedora 8 as well.

Now I can do BMax in Linux!
Woo Hoo!

Tricky(Posted 2009) [#21]
None of the apps were found when I looked them up.
But it can be because I'm on Fedora 10 and not 4.

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2009) [#22]
Is there a commandline package manager for fedora? If so, can someone give me a quick write up of the packages needed to get the latest bmax working using said package manager?

I don't use fedora, but it'll help me finish up my general-purpose install script for blitzmax.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#23]
I believe it's : yum

markcw(Posted 2009) [#24]
HOWTO: Fedora 11

First, here is a general package list based on this one. Note the distro is no longer called 'Fedora Core'.

GNU C++ compiler
GNU Standard C++ Library
X11 client-side library
X11 XFree86 video mode extension library
Mesa OpenGL library
Mesa OpenGL utility library
X11 FreeType-based font drawing library
FreeType 2 font engine
X11 pixmap library

To install these packages with yum, copy to a Terminal.
su -c 'yum install gcc-c++ libX11-devel mesa-libGLU-devel libXft-devel libXpm-devel'

Package dependencies are shown below. Note you can use 'yum list \*word\*' to search for a word in package names.

gcc-c++
+ cloog-ppl
+ gcc
+ glibc-devel
+ glibc-headers
+ kernel-headers
+ libstdc++-devel
+ ppl

libX11-devel
+ libXau-devel
+ libXdmcp-devel
+ libxcb-devel