I'm tired with linux ....

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/I'm tired with linux ....

Filax(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi

I have installed knoppix, and setuped my graphics card
(geforce 2 mx) but i obtain alway a message when i want
to compile :

flat assembler verison 1.5.2
error: out of memory ...

Linux and Blitzmax = Hell !

boomboommax(Posted 2005) [#2]
its more a case of knowing what your doing

WendellM(Posted 2005) [#3]
I, too, have been struggling with Linux & BlitzMax the past few days.

I reinstalled my old Red Hat 9 from a couple of years ago, and BlitzMax ran - no video hardware accel or sound, but it ran.

So, I downloaded RH9's successor, Fedora Core 4 (all 4 CDs worth!), and installed it. BlitzMax wouldn't even start: as in double-click on the icon and nothing happens.

So, I downloaded Ubuntu (much better at 1 CD) and installed it. BlitzMax would run, but not compile. Fortunately there are past posts on this board about that, so I was able to install what I needed to get it running. Still no hardware accel or sound yet (though Ubuntu itself has sound), but at least BlitzMax runs.

I'm currently doing fresh reinstalls to get Win 98 (for backward-compatability testing), FC 4, and Ubuntu 5.04 all coexisting on my tertiary drive, then I'll get back to improving Ubuntu. Now that I have BMX happy on Win XP and on my new Mac, I want to get it going properly under Linux, too.

I don't mind all the learning (rather enjoy it, actually), but this experience shows me that Linux is still not ready to replace Windows or Mac OS (though it's pretty good for a free, hobby OS).

Robert(Posted 2005) [#4]
Linux has its pros and cons, and hardware & software installation is definately not a pro.

You will probably need to download & install the proprietary drivers in order to get hardware acceleration working (either from NVidia or ATI's website, depending on the make of your card).

Linux sound setup should be made easier by the introduction of ALSA in a future BlitzMAX update (another forum user has already written and published the code, it is just up to BRL to integrate it).

Filax(Posted 2005) [#5]
I find that mark or other person from blr made nothing to help user's
under linux !!! Made a tutorial , point per point, with web link
for different linux distributions because linux is not really
user friendly .... :(

It's hell !!! to setup ! help your customer's ... i find this is not very
usefull for me, that say "install ubuntu", or "suze" because there is
alway one or more problem with each linux distribution !!!!

The only one tutorial on this site, refer a commercial linux version !!

I want a tutorial that help me to setup all necessary rpm package !

WendellM(Posted 2005) [#6]
To be fair, it's not BRL's job to get Linux running on our computers. And since most distro's are free, the distributor doesn't owe the "customer" anything (unless you pay for an enterprise edition, which presumably comes with support). That means it's up to the user - namely us <g>.

From what I've seen, BlitzMax isn't the only program to have problems - it seems like everything has some problems with different flavors of Linux (I've seen lots of "do this with this Linux, but not with that one, which needs this other adjustment"). It looks like there are a good number of user groups out there to help Linux newbies get up to speed, and I've been using what I can understand of them. I'm very new to Linux, so I sometimes can't use the help shown because it assumes knowledge that I don't yet have.

But, over the past few days, I've been slowly learning how to do more. Things seem somewhat easier now than two years ago when I first tried Linux, but it's still quite a lot to deal with. But that's OK for me: I personally view using BlitzMax with Windows as what's really important. OS X and Linux are nice add-ons if they work, but I'm not that concerned. That said, I am making the effort to use them, just to undermine Microsoft's monopoly <g>.

Filax(Posted 2005) [#7]
I'm not saying that brl must debug my linux ??? i want only a tutorial
about the correct package to install for bmax, it's a little bit
different !!

there 50000 different version about : install this package
but not this, instal ubuntu, but work too suze etc etc etc

I want an official paper ! about what linux distribution is the better
for bmax and i want a little tutorial with this version ! That all !

with linux i'm nude in the darkness !

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#8]
Ubuntu 32bit Linux is the only distro used by Blitz Research, I will post exact install instructions for BlitzMax next week.

Filax(Posted 2005) [#9]
I love you ... if possible from a frech install ?

WendellM(Posted 2005) [#10]
with linux i'm nude in the darkness !

I know how you feel. That's a great way to put it! <g>.

One thing about Ubuntu - I now have BlitzMax running in it again, so I compiled Digesteroids and copied that over to Fedora Core 4. But the compiled program (like BlitzMax itself) wouldn't run there.

After some more looking, it seemed like the problem was that FC4 uses GCC 4.0 and doesn't have support for older versions enabled by default. I ran "yum install compat-libstdc++-33" in FC4's Terminal and now Digesteroids and BlitzMax run! <yay>

This presents an interesting situation - the "official BlitzMax" Ubuntu distro produces "outdated" builds, which the newest Fedora (a major distro) doesn't support. I put the blame on Fedora for only having the newer GCC installed by default with no initial support for the older version. That seems like DirectX 9 being released with no support for DirectX 8 or earlier, so that players have to manually download an add-on to play older games that they already own! Backward-compatability is usually a given in the PC world, but not here.

If I update Ubuntu-BlitzMax to produce GCC 4 builds, then will people with older Linux installations be able to run them (at least without upgrading to GCC 4)? I'd think not. But if I stick with the current Ubuntu GCC, then people with some of the newest Linux installs won't be able to run them without downloading a fix. What a Catch-22!

Update: I compiled Digesteroids in FC4 and copied that to Ubuntu 5.04, but it wouldn't run there (just like FC4 pre-libstdc++-33: no error message - nothing happens at all). It looks like Ubuntu uses GCC 3.3. I also tried compiling Digesteroids in XP, and that ran fine in Windows 98.

Wendell
Nude in the Linux Darkness

Qube(Posted 2005) [#11]
A good question to ask yourselves is this:

Will my customers who purchase my products have these same problems?

If the answer is yes, then you are in for one hell of a support time.

I like the idea of linux. It's different, but I'd never develop for it personally. There's too many variations, too many potential problems.

Ole JR(Posted 2005) [#12]
flat assembler verison 1.5.2
error: out of memory ...

Had the exact same thing with purebasic on Linux, and it's a Fasm error message.
Don't know why, but some get this error with older Fasm verions..

Upgrade Fasm and it goes away.. (latest one is 1.64)

Craig Watson(Posted 2005) [#13]
I'll start by saying Fedora Core 4 is not something I'd recommend any Linux noob or intermediate use. It has a lot of early releases of new software which aren't well supported in the community yet. Main one is of course GCC 4.

99% of commercial products for Linux will not work without the compatibility packages. Actually installing them is easy enough, and the only reason installing BlitzMax isn't that easy is because it doesn't come in a packaged format that would install these dependencies for you.

The other thing is that it's perfectly possible to compile stuff for GCC 3 under Fedora Core 4, providing you have the compatibility packages installed. BMK is currently closed, so this, among other issues (library/header paths) is not something the community can fix for you yet.

Your best bet for compatibility for the next year or so is to build stuff under GCC 3. Even when most distros will have moved to GCC 4, all the decent ones (ie. Ubuntu, SuSE, Mandriva) will still include the compatibility libraries for 3.

As for those having trouble with Accelerated Graphics, if it's not built into your packaging system, most people will be fine using the install scripts provided by Nvidia or ATI on their driver downloads. I've personally found these tend to actually work better than the included ones.

The advantage you'll find with Linux is the userbase is generally far more technically inclined than the Windows userbase. The difference is most people are far more familiar with the Windows way of doing things - on many Linux distros, things are not actually that much harder, they're just unfamiliar.

You'll find that once you get your head around apt-get and the like that running Linux actually ends up being a lot easier than keeping Windows chugging along happily.

As for your Linux end-users, learn how to package your apps. An RPM or DEB will sort out dependencies for you. No telling someone to go download Direct X9 or whatever, the package management will do the equivalent of that for your user automatically.

WendellM(Posted 2005) [#14]
Thanks for the info, Craig. I was unfamiliar with the GCC 3/4 situation; your description made it clearer. Based on that, I'll stick with Ubuntu for development, but keep FC4 around as a "bleeding edge feature" test (it choked pretty impressively trying to rebuild 1.10's modules: warnings and errors flying everywhere! <g>).

I've been trying to get accelerated graphics for my Radeon through several means (some folks say "no, don't use ATI's drivers - they'll destroy everything" while others say "yes, they're great"). I managed to get it installed in Ubuntu last night without any conflicts, but now Gnome is unhappy with a new error that I haven't seen before. Well, different errors usually mean progress <g>, so I'll see about clearing that up later.

It's good to hear that packaging via RPM/DEB will auto-handle dependencies.

BlitzMax has gone much, much smoother for me on Windows and OS X than Linux. Admittedly I'm a lot more familiar with XP, and have a nodding acquaintance with OS X, but there simply weren't any problems to resolve. Download/syncmods/rebuild and Max worked on great on both with no additional steps required.

With Linux it's been nothing but "oh, you need to fix this, which requires updating that, and resolving this other," etc. And what's with doing everything important in the terminal? I enjoy the DOS nostalgia and all, but this is 2005, not 1985.... <g>

It looks like Linux can run 2D, non-accelerated stuff pretty well right "out of the box," but it currently seems unsuited to "modernish" games (say, from the past 5-10 years) which, I guess, is why there are so few for it. I'll continue to putter with it because I enjoy computers and learning about them, and there's also the challenge of getting BlitzMax working with accelerated graphics and decent sound. But I have no great hopes of creating anything with it that's anywhere near the stability of XP and OS X versions any time soon.

computercoder(Posted 2005) [#15]
I wrote the "only" real BlitzMAX and Linspire 5.0 HOWTO, and I am working on others as well. Kubuntu is the next on my list, which also will serve Ubuntu at the same time (the only difference is one uses KDE (kubuntu), and the other uses Gnome (ubuntu) for the desktop environment)

I took a small break to actually start writing something with BlitzMax under Linux.

Keep in mind that k/ubuntu are light distros, which means you'll end up installing more packages than other distros. All in all, since its also a Debian based system, the packages required should be what it would take on other Debian based systems (even Linspire)

Filax(Posted 2005) [#16]
I love you ....

computercoder(Posted 2005) [#17]
Vous êtes bienvenu (You are welcome, French is a bit rusty)

I don't know if I can put it 100% French, but I'll see what I can do :) [not to mention I still have to write it!]