Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Compile in Debian Sarge

Massimo32(Posted 2005) [#1]
I get the following errors while trying to compile even the simplest program:

Building untitled1
Compiling:untitled1.bmx
flat assembler version 1.52
3 passes, 2457 bytes.
Linking:untitled1.debug
/home/massimo/blitzmax/BlitzMax110/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.debug.linux.a(blitzgl.linux.c.debug.linux.o)(.text+0x5d): In function `bglDeleteContext':
: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeSetViewPort'
/home/massimo/blitzmax/BlitzMax110/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.debug.linux.a(blitzgl.linux.c.debug.linux.o)(.text+0x75): In function `bglDeleteContext':
: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeSwitchToMode'
/home/massimo/blitzmax/BlitzMax110/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.debug.linux.a(blitzgl.linux.c.debug.linux.o)(.text+0x19e): In function `bglDisplayModes':
: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeGetAllModeLines'
/home/massimo/blitzmax/BlitzMax110/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.debug.linux.a(blitzgl.linux.c.debug.linux.o)(.text+0x267): In function `createFullscreenContext':
: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeQueryVersion'
/home/massimo/blitzmax/BlitzMax110/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.debug.linux.a(blitzgl.linux.c.debug.linux.o)(.text+0x284): In function `createFullscreenContext':
: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeGetAllModeLines'
/home/massimo/blitzmax/BlitzMax110/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.debug.linux.a(blitzgl.linux.c.debug.linux.o)(.text+0x3a4): In function `createFullscreenContext':
: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeSwitchToMode'
/home/massimo/blitzmax/BlitzMax110/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.debug.linux.a(blitzgl.linux.c.debug.linux.o)(.text+0x3b9): In function `createFullscreenContext':
/home/massimo/blitzmax/BlitzMax110/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.debug.linux.a(blitzgl.linux.c.debug.linux.o)(.text+0x590): In function `createWindowedContext':
: undefined reference to `XF86VidModeQueryVersion'
/home/massimo/blitzmax/BlitzMax110/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.debug.linux.a(blitzgl.linux.c.debug.linux.o)(.text+0x5f4): In function `createWindowedContext':
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Process complete

The following libraries are installed:

libsdl1.2
xlibmesa-gl-dev
xlibmesa-glu-dev
xlibs-static-dev (which includes libXxf86vm)

and OpenGL is working (tuxracer runs fine ;)

...what else I'm missing?

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#2]
I'd try perhaps installing the libxf86vm-devel pack seperately..

Massimo32(Posted 2005) [#3]
In debian I can't find that library as a standalone package. Do you think the library provided by xlibs-static-dev isn't the needed one?

http://packages.debian.org/stable/libdevel/xlibs-static-dev

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#4]
hmm.. I'm not sure.. it doesn't list the devel version though...
But then again... I'm a linux newb myself, so I'm not 100% sure on these matters.. :p

maybe you can look around for it?

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#5]
Hmm, a [a http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2005-19,GGLG:en&q=libxxf86vm+debian&spell=1]Google search[/a] turns up this link as the first entry! Any use? From the links in that search, it sounds like it's mysteriously missing from Debian...

bubbz(Posted 2005) [#6]
Try disabling debug build under Program >> Build Options, I'm getting a similar error in Suse which varies depending on if debug build is enabled or not.

Massimo32(Posted 2005) [#7]
@bubbz: no, it doens't depend on 'debug build' option but...

after reading your other post I installed the 1.09 and... it works perfectly!!!

Then I did a new upgrade to 1.10 and the error messages came again... :(

bubbz(Posted 2005) [#8]
i've just swopped back and forth a few times too between the two versions, this is definately a 1.10 issue, not sure why the debug option seems to make a difference to me, maybe that's not related?

bubbz(Posted 2005) [#9]
I *think* I may have fixed it.... you know that stupid 'i should have read the doc's feeling'....

From Mark's 'BlitzMax Update 1.10 now available!' post: 'The grunty stuff is in the modules, so install the update and sync mods!'

After doing a Program >> Synchronize Modules, everything is working fine for me.

I do wonder however: Why aren't these modules in the downloaded update?

Massimo32(Posted 2005) [#10]
Well, it works for me too... and it's strange because I read the Mark's note and I was sure I had done 'Syncronize modules' the first time... or it was when I installed it in windows? :(

Well it wasn't a lack of libraries, thanks bubbz it's the second time you save me an headache !! :)

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#11]
I just wanted to tell you that, after I reinstalled Ubuntu yesterday, I had the same problem..
I found out that after I applied the 1.10 update, it didn't work... The reason for it failing was simply that the update didn't perform properly..
it seems it didn't overwrite the files..
after applying the update again, this time doing a "cp -rf <updatedir> <bmaxinstalldir>", it worked...
(for those linux newbs like me, -rf means recursive (through the directories), and force (overwrite))

computercoder(Posted 2005) [#12]
additionally, if you are a GUI buff, you could simply use File Manager and copy it over top the BlitzMAX directory from the Update directory, then tell it to overwrite when asked. (My appologies if this doesn't work like this in your version/distro, as I have Linspire 5.0- Debian based)