Gutting Linux

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Gutting Linux

maverick(Posted 2005) [#1]
I`m a total newb when it comes to linux and have next to no experience with it (baring my C# course at uni).

What i`d like to know is the following
A) What is the bare minimum you can strip linux down to and still be able to run blitzmax created EXE`s ?
What I have in mind is a in car MP3 player based on a mini ITX pc and want the boot times to be as fast as possible.

B) How do you go about removing things from Linux

I realise it`s a broad question but any pointers on where to start would be appreciated

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#2]
This might be better if it were moved to the linux discussion forum.

A) You might want to look for mini linux distros and test it from there, if you're just going to be playing audio then I don't think you would need that much. You can get linux running from a floppy.

B) I'd ask this on a dedicated linux forum.

actually I'd ask both these on a dedicated linux forum since you're more likely to find someone who's done something similar already.

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#3]
A) What is the bare minimum you can strip linux down to and still be able to run blitzmax created EXE`s ?
Well it depends on whether you want it to run just on your computer, or on everyones computer.

So far I've gotten it down to about 64 Megs using a modified puppylinux that boots of a flashpen (mighty fast BTW).

B) How do you go about removing things from Linux
If you want to do it safely, it depends on what Linux distro you're using.

maverick(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thanks flameduck
I was mainly concerned about blitz apps running in a cut down version as I know if you cut bits from windows all sorts of screwy things can happen with blitz apps due to interdependencies.

I was thinking of making an FMOD module for the playback stuff. I don`t need the likes of network&usb support for example.

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#5]
Maybe have a look at embedded linux given your low requirement on graphics hardware (you won't be able to play blitzmax games on it but). I would be happy to contribute a blitzmax framedriver device if you find something in such a case which would remove all the gl and xwindows dependencies.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#6]
HEY.. i just remembed.. yay.. I didnt think of booting linux off my MP3 player, but im sure i can.. and will :D *rubs hands*

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#7]
Hey, Skids, do you mean something like DirectFB? That would be so cool -- I'd love to be able to experiment with minimal (graphical) Linux and BlitzMax one day.

Isaac P(Posted 2005) [#8]
I'd try http://www.linuxfromscratch.org

They have had an apache web server system running on 8mb disk space. Im sure you create a mighty small footprint for your system