Linux Development distro

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Linux Development distro

FirstTheIdea(Posted 2005) [#1]
What is the best Linux distro from the view point of an developer. It just seams to me that some have g++ installed some dont. Is such thing as a easy ride in using BlitzMax on Linux? Where don't have to install something with name like xyz in Linux to use BlitzMax.

Isaac P(Posted 2005) [#2]
Most distro's enable you to include all the development tools. It all comes down to preference really.

Id suggest Fedora or Mandrake. They have both released very recent revisions of their distro.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#3]
Bmax works perfectly on my Mandriva 2005 (mandrake) install.
I had very little trouble getting it to work. You will end up having to install some rpms regardless of the distro you use, but I found it pretty easy with Mandriva.

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#4]
I'm on Fedora Core 4 now..
BMax installation went flawlessly, once I got the libstdc++ package installed..
Sound and everything worked out of the box.. :)

Isaac P(Posted 2005) [#5]
Im using Fedora Core 4 also. Only problem you will have with it is if you use an ATI card. Getting ATI drivers to work with GCC4 which is included with FC4 involves a little manual module patching and rebuilding.

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#6]
I got my ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 card working just fine..
after a little help from the fedora irc channel, that is..
I had some problems with the apps (ATI driver, BMax etc.) needed som old version of libstdc++, which I couldn't get installed at first..
But once I got some help with installing the ATI driver from the livna.repo, 'yum' saw the dependency,
and installed the other libstdc++ then both the ATI driver and BMax ran out of the box.. :p

N(Posted 2005) [#7]
I use Slackware 10.1. It's easy to set up, minimal, and good for development.

Isaac P(Posted 2005) [#8]
I think you can gather from this thread that most distro's are good for deveopment. Just some are easier/harder for the novice user.

If you are a complete linux beginner, simplyMepis is pretty easy and straight forward and graphics card drivers work out the box.

www.mepis.org

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#9]
www.ubuntu.com -- was pretty painless for me, and I put the steps I had to follow in this thread.