SuSe 9.2 Personal & g++ ???

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/SuSe 9.2 Personal & g++ ???

JazzieB(Posted 2005) [#1]
OK, I know that this has come up plenty of times before, but I cannot get BlitzMax to work under SuSe 9.2 Personal. I originally had trouble with BlitzMax v1.09 even running, but v1.10 seems to have fixed that. Now I get the old "sh: g++: command not found" error message whenever I try to run something.

Anyway, every thread here with that error states that I need to install gcc. Trouble is, it isn't even listed in the RPM manager. A search for gcc reveals the following...

cpp - The GCC Preprocessor - v3.3.4-11
libgcc - C compiler runtime library - v3.3.4-11

Both of these are installed, as is all of the X11 stuff that comes with SuSe. I am beginning to think that what I need isn't even included in this version of SuSe and that I either need to try something else or upgrade to the professional version.

Any help would be appreciated, but please don't post links to other threads, as I must have read them all a dozen times by now.

Thanks in advance.

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#2]
try the g++ package?

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#3]
I've just Googled about and it seems there's not much advice out there for installing GCC on SuSE 9.2 Personal 'manually' (and it deliberately isn't included).

You either need the Professional version (and should ideally select the development packages on installation, though I believe that stuff can be installed from YaST in 'Pro)... or go to something relatively easy like Ubuntu, where even I didn't get stuck for too long!

Qube(Posted 2005) [#4]
SUSE 9.2 professional was on a magazine disk (Linux Format) a few months back, bargin :)

Not any help I know, but perhaps you could buy a back issue and save yourself any hassle?

JazzieB(Posted 2005) [#5]
I got SuSe 9.2 Personal free off PC Format last month, which had an upgrade offer to the 9.3 Professional version for £20 off the full price.

You'll be glad to hear that after some digging around and after many RPM downloads I finally have BlitzMax up and running - sort of!!! I'll post what I downloaded later (as I'm at work now).

The 'sort of' comes from some weird error (well, non error) where some of my programs won't compile - in fact, it doesn't seem to do anything. I just get the 'Process complete" message and that's it.

On those that do I get about 2 FPS on anything that has any minimal graphics content. I believe this to be a graphics card driver issue that I am already aware of - SuSe simply doesn't recognise my Radeon 9800 Pro (even after downloading the RPM from ATI's site).

Anyway, I'll post elsewhere about these last two issues, as they're separate from the original problem I was having.

Thanks for your help.

Robert(Posted 2005) [#6]
Hi JazzieB,

Have you tried looking on http://www.rpmfind.net?

Search for gcc and SuSE there.

Installing the ATI drivers isn't just a matter of downloading and running the RPMs from ATI's website, you need to close X and run the fglrxconfig tool.

1. Install the RPMs
2. Open up a terminal (KDE "Start" Button > Run > Type in "konsole" and hit OK)
3. Switch to the root user (su root)
4. Switch to non-GUI mode (init 3)
5. Run fglrxconfig and answer the questions, say Yes when asked if you want to save changes.
6. Reboot (Ctrl+Alt+Del)

Edit: To test if this is working, once the computer has rebooted, open up a konsole, execute "fglrxinfo" and let us know what it prints out.

DStastny(Posted 2005) [#7]
I got SUSE 9.2 up and running with Nvidia drivers over the weekend needless to say OMG what a pain in the u-know-what.

My understanding is 9.3 has better built in driver support but now I got it working not gonna mess with it.

Doug Stastny

JazzieB(Posted 2005) [#8]
Robert, I was aware from other posts that it wouldn't be straight forward installing drivers for my graphics card under Linux. I did indeed use a RPM site to get BlitzMax working and find the necessaries for the graphics card drivers as well.

SuSe has my card listed as an ATI R350 NH (the chipset for the 9800 Pro?) using fglrx drivers under X.org 6.8. It says that it's not 3D capable though, which is my main problem. Anyhow, as you requested, here's what I get with fglrxinfo after installing the RPM and running rglrxconfig...

display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.1)

I also ran 3Ddiag, which gives me this...

3Ddiag version 0.722
Verifying 3D configuration:
Using 3dinfo

================================================================
No 3D capable graphic chipset found!
================================================================

Checking GL/GLU/glut runtime configuration:
GL/GLU ... done (package xorg-x11-Mesa)
glut ... done (package freeglut)

I'm currently thinking of upgrading to 9.3 Pro, but if I get this working then I won't bother.

Robert(Posted 2005) [#9]
display: :0.0 screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.2 (1.5 Mesa 6.1)

As you have probably guessed, it should read "ATI Technologies" for the vendor string.

Have you tried the new ATI Driver Installer which is now available on their website? (It was added only a few days ago)

JazzieB(Posted 2005) [#10]
I did download the new installer from the ATI site, but I can't get it to run in the terminal (or desktop for that matter). I get a 'permission denied' error - even in super user mode. I also tried it after 'init 3' as well, but had the same result.

I also get the error with the 'check.sh' file that's supposed to let me know whether I have everything installed that I need to.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#11]
I've never managed to get anywhere with any distro and the ATI downloads (and have always had that check.sh message). Ubuntu is the only distro I've managed to get working ATI drivers in -- it's really good too.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2005) [#12]
I'll have a really good gues that James likes Ubuntu Linux :)

Robert(Posted 2005) [#13]
I did download the new installer from the ATI site, but I can't get it to run in the terminal (or desktop for that matter). I get a 'permission denied' error - even in super user mode. I also tried it after 'init 3' as well, but had the same result.

You have to make it executable.

Execute this command from the console:

chmod +x <filename_here>

eg.

chmod +x check.sh

Then execute it.

JustLuke(Posted 2005) [#14]
You might try PCLinuxOS if you want to get an ATI card working with a minimum of hassle and frustration.

I've never had any luck with Linux + ATI Video cards but the latest PCLinuxOS Live CD automatically detected and installed the correct ATI drivers for my laptop's dodgy ATI Mobility card.

Since you can try it first by booting from the CD rather than installing it to your HD, it might be worth you checking it out. It sure beats struggling to install ATI drivers on other Linux distros, that's for sure.

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#15]
I haven't had much problems getting the ATI driver up and running on several distros I had running on my old laptop (with a mobility 9600 card)..

Now I've got a new lappy, with a 9700 card, FedoraCore 4 (64 bit version) downloading, and there's appearantly a new version of the ATI driver out... so I guess I'll have to see how this goes!!! :p

oh.. btw: I wouldn't recommend trying to run live from a CD to see if your card is supported, as almost every distro I tried that, failed to get the drivers working (even though I did when installing it to HD)..

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#16]

I'll have a really good gues that James likes Ubuntu Linux :)

Mainly just by default since the 3D drivers work! It is good tho'... just trying to make things easy for others in the same boat!