Running BlitzMax on Suse 9.3, A Solution

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Running BlitzMax on Suse 9.3, A Solution

bubbz(Posted 2005) [#1]
I'm pretty far from experienced in Linux, this post is really a reminder for myself next time i'm installing, but will hopefully help out some others when they can't get BlitzMax working in Suse.

I have Suse 9.3 installed with all the default packages and a few others (including the nvidia drivers). Initially i got the 'sh: line 1: g++ : command not found' error when building. This was solved by installing:

gcc-c++ - The GNU C++ Compiler

(note: I had previously installed 'gcc - The GNU C Compiler and Support Files' too)

Next i got the error containing '/i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lGLU'. This was solved by installing:

xorg-x11-Mesa-devel - Include Files and Libraries mandatory for Development

Both these packages can be installed through Yast. I hope this may be helpful to somebody, A text file in the blitzmax package with some information on dependencies would probably help the newer linux users, or maybe it's just me ;)

Robert(Posted 2005) [#2]
A better solution would be for BlitzMAX to be packaged in some sort of cross-platform installer (I recommend AutoPackage - http://www.autopackage.org), which can give a helpful error message and information on what to do if one of the requirements is missing.

bubbz(Posted 2005) [#3]
Just updated to the latest version, with MaxGUI, and the error has come back:

sh: g++-3.3: command not found

All the packages are installed as before and gcc-c++ is version 3.3.5-5. Rebuild modules also gives 'sh: gcc-3.3: command not found'.

Any ideas?

Kernle 32DLL_2(Posted 2005) [#4]
i have the same problem with OpenSuSe 10. I installed gcc 4.02 with g++ and co. ... but i wasn't able to buil any modules. Would be nice to know wich version is needed or where the mistake is

Fr3eMaN

Robert(Posted 2005) [#5]
Hi bubbz,

I had the same problem. BlitzMAX should really use g++ rather than g++-3.3.

To fix it, you need to create a symlink (the Linux equivalent of a shortcut) called g++-3.3 which points to your existing g++ compiler.

First you need to open up a terminal and find out where your existing g++ compiler is by typing in "whereis g++"
Navigate to that folder using the cd command ("cd <path to folder containing g++>")

To create the symlink, do this:

sudo link g++ g++-3.3

And enter your root password (SUSE, Fedora etc.) or your own password (Ubuntu, Kubuntu).

I don't know exactly where g++ is located on SUSE / Fedora etc, but on Ubuntu it is in /usr/bin

bubbz(Posted 2005) [#6]
Robert: thanks so much for that, worked a treat (and I would *never* have worked it out for myself).

Now if only the images displayed correctly and the text wrapped in the modules>>maxgui documentation I might work out what I was doing... Primarily using linux for BMax makes me feel like i'm always in second or third position behind the other OS's :-\ Why we don't get autopackage like you suggested before is beyond me too.

Robert(Posted 2005) [#7]
Primarily using linux for BMax makes me feel like i'm always in second or third position behind the other OS's

I know what you mean. Having said that, although the GUI is not as nice under Linux, everything else works well.

I'm hopeful that things will improve when the GTK work-in-progress modules appear.

Kernle 32DLL_2(Posted 2005) [#8]
yes, mark should take more care about the linux user,so it would be nice to know how to get bmx running...so everything works very well! thanks Robert

Fr3eMaN

bubbz(Posted 2005) [#9]
Just as a side note, and to help me again next time I install and get stuck: To 'rebuild all modules' I have also had to do a

sudo link gcc gcc-3.3

In SUSE gcc and g++ are also in /usr/bin

bubbz(Posted 2005) [#10]
A totally seperate point: can somebody else test the glcube gui demo in linux, and suggest why it doesn't work for me?

Thank you.

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#11]
I haven't been able to get the depthbuffer working with linux canvas gadgets yet, disabling depth buffer will get the cube drawing at least...

bubbz(Posted 2005) [#12]
skidracer: thanks for the reply, at least I wont waste any time trying to make it work.

Further note to self: After upgrading SUSE to latest version the symlinks to gcc and g++ must be removed and relinked!

Sveinung(Posted 2005) [#13]
I got this, trying to compile...

Executing:glcube.debug
X Error of failed request: GLXUnsupportedPrivateRequest
Major opcode of failed request: 155 (GLX)
Minor opcode of failed request: 16 (X_GLXVendorPrivate)
Serial number of failed request: 1364
Current serial number in output stream: 1366

Can't see that I'm missing any libs....but that again :)

Regards
Sveinung

BORNtobeNAMELESS(Posted 2005) [#14]
I tried to get BMax working on Linux for 2 Days!
Now it works!
Thanks Robert for your HowTo

Gavin Beard(Posted 2006) [#15]
hi all. to get it workin on suse 9.3 all i needed to do was install latest security patches. then install latest nvidia drivers and finally create sudo links for gcc and g++ to gcc-3.3 and g++-3.3

bubbz(Posted 2006) [#16]
Just a quick note to add that the advice in this thread also works with opensuse 10.1 although the 'xorg-x11-Mesa-devel' package is now simply 'Mesa-devel'