RedHat Linux 8 Ide Error

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/RedHat Linux 8 Ide Error

Kev(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi All

Ive installed redhat 8 to take a look at blitzmax version 1.09 however when i try and run blitzmax i receive an error from the ide and then it shuts down.

the error:
Unable to locate required files, Please reinstall blitzmax to repair this problem.

any idea's on fixing this ive never used linux so please go easy with me :) ive tryed to reinstall but only gives the same error, ive used the created user account and also tryed the root account.

thanks for any help
kev

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#2]
try using a command prompt (terminal) to run the program and see if any more into is provided at the commandline.

Kev(Posted 2005) [#3]
Hi Perturbatio

Ive tryed using the terminal on blitzmax's ide and i have the same error, so in the terminal i tryed to run bcc ive got the following error when runing it.

/usr/lib/libstdc++.50.5 version glibstdcpp_3.2.2 not found required by home/kevin/blitzmax109/bin/bcc

any ideas?

thanks
kev

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#4]
you need to install the libstdc package, I'm not sure what you have available on redhat, but on mandrake you can do this with the package manager.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#5]
while you're at it, make sure you have all the xorg-X11-devel packages installed.

Kev(Posted 2005) [#6]
thanks Perturbatio

looking into if the packages are available on my package manager, or if i need to download them.

thanks
kev

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#7]
That error is due to the IDE not being able to locate the compiler which should be at location blitzmaxfolder/bin/bcc if you unarchived the .tar.gz package correctly.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#8]
surely that's the compiler (bcc) not being able to find libstdc?

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#9]
Ah, yes indeed. Although I don't comprehend why the IDE succeeds to run given it should have similar dependency.

Kev(Posted 2005) [#10]
skidracer yes i installed blitzmax correctly, but the ide gives the error then shuts down. Perturbatio, yea i think its also bcc unable to find libstdc as bcc gives me the error in the terminal

i try and get this working sometime today.

kev

JazzieB(Posted 2005) [#11]
I'm getting the same 'Unable to locate required files' error as described above. Was the problem ever resolved?

I am running SuSe 9.2. I unzipped the files into my home/bin folder and get this error whether ran from the desktop or from the CLI. I didn't get any further info when run from the CLI.

Kev(Posted 2005) [#12]
JazzieB i was unable to get this working :( so ive ended up buying this month's 'personal computer world' (JULY 2005) in the uk on the dvd coverdisk is a free copy of mandriva linux 2005 LE and the live cd of knoppix 3.8.1.

i am getting out of memory error's when trying to compile using mandriva, but blitzmax runs and compiles fine using knoppix :) if you want to install the live cd of knoppix to the your hard drive the you need to run the console type su +enter to get root access then cfdisk to configure your hard drive to install linux. dont touch your windows partition but you might need to make it a bit smaller to make room for linux, make your new linux partition minimum 3GB and make it bootable, next create a new 400mb linux swap partition then reboot.

when you restart knoppix run console and type su+enter again and then knx2hd, this will run the harddrive installer. lilo boot manager install and you still have access to your windows and now linux.

sorry if you now all this but if not then away you go :) blitzmax compiles fine under knoppix.

kev

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#13]
BMax works fine on Mandriva for me, don't know why you would get out of memory errors. (unless you only have 16mb ram or something).

actually, does it do this regardless of whether you use KDE or Gnome?

JazzieB(Posted 2005) [#14]
@Perturbatio - I've only tried it in KDE. I have noticed Gnome stuff in the package manager, but I'm not sure how to swap to the Ghnome desktop to try it in there. How do I swap?

@Kev - I already have SuSe installed on a separate parition from Windows. I don't really want to try another version, as it took me 2 attempts to install SuSe and the first time completely messed up my harddrive resulting in me have to do a complete format and reinstall of everything. I'll bear it in mind as an option though.

flaith(Posted 2005) [#15]
@Pertubatio - i installed Mandriva too, on a IBM Thinkpad Celeron 800mhz 192Mb, first with KDE and then with Gnome 2.8, no pb for now :)

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#16]
@Perturbatio - I've only tried it in KDE. I have noticed Gnome stuff in the package manager, but I'm not sure how to swap to the Ghnome desktop to try it in there. How do I swap?

make sure you have Gnome installed, then log out and you should get the choice of windowing system on the login screen.

*EDIT*
I should point out that I'm using KDE without issue, but I'm wondering if KDE uses more physical memory.

JazzieB(Posted 2005) [#17]
I should point out that I'm using KDE without issue, but I'm wondering if KDE uses more physical memory

I have 1GB of RAM, so I don't think that is the problem. I'll keep trying over the weekend and give Gnome a go too.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#18]
go to the command prompt and type ldd blitzmax and it should list all the dependancies of BMax.

Kev(Posted 2005) [#19]
@Perturbatio, ive got 192meg of ram, are you using the 3cd distro of mandriva and is it the light edition? i had to use package manager to get blitzmax ide to run, maybe ive missed something from the package manager? i will look into this.

@JazzieB, ive also lost windows a couple of times :) you would be ok to install knoppix onto your suse parition in the console just type su+enter then knx2hd to start the installer, should you decide to try knoppix.

@flaith, whats your mandriva setup?

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#20]
are you using the 3cd distro of mandriva and is it the light edition?

No, I'm using the Official DVD edition.

flaith(Posted 2005) [#21]
Kev, BMax was installed with the Limited Edition 2005 (3CD), during the Setup, i chose to install package one by one, especially the gtk1.2 bin & devel, glib1.2.
. KDE : pb with GTK & GLIB
(you've got to install gtk1.2 & Gtk2.0 - idem for Glib)
. Gnome : pb with Libstdc++5
(install with rpmdrake)

Kev(Posted 2005) [#22]
thanks flaith, my mistake saying im using the light edition, its the limited edition 2005 (3CD), i will reinstall and try your suggestion.

kev