PPC Linux

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/PPC Linux

wildboar(Posted 2005) [#1]
Will Linux BMax be only for X86 flavors, or will it work for PPC Linux as well (Yellow Dog linux on Mac)? RealBasic only generates apps for X86 Linux and I was hoping to get around that with BMax.

Robert(Posted 2005) [#2]
I believe that BMax Linux currently only produces x86-compatible code, but I think Mark plans to expand this?

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#3]
It's hard to predict the future, and even harder to guess how difficult a task this would be.

I would argue that a PPC Linux version in principle wouldn't be too much trouble, if the seperation of concerns between CPU architecture and OS reliant code was conformed to.

Unfortunately I'm not sure this is the case. It's really anyones guess, but I wouldn't hold my breath to be honest. Is it that much of an issue tho'? Why would someone want to run Linux on a Mac anyway? It is my understanding that Mac OS X comes with a Linux compatibility layer anyway, allowing you to execute PPC Linux binaries natively on OSX.

Ofcourse you might want to run it on one of those IBM boards, but I doubt there's much of a market for it unfortunately.

Is there something I'm missing?

Massimo32(Posted 2005) [#4]
People do want to run linux on PPC, all major Linux distributions are available for PPC indeed.

Linux Blitzmax compiles my code almost twice as fast as Windows version.
It would be interesting to have a Linux PPC version to compare with the OS X one.

Any chance to see it coming one day?