B3D on linux

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/B3D on linux

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#1]
Is there a version of blitz3d on linux (or something similar) the way that a.hole emperor gates is going, soon nothing will run on windows without having to pay massive 'im a real big vendor and promise not to be bad' fees.
Im thinking of switching to linux, but how does opengl compare with directx? and is there a nice language like blitz to program in.

Robert(Posted 2005) [#2]
You have two options:

1. Either buy a copy of WineX (I think it is called something else now) for Linux and try running Blitz3D on that.

2. The non-risky solution: Wait for the Max3D add-on to be released for BlitzMAX and buy that. BlitzMAX is fully cross platform.

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#3]
Is there a version of blitz3d on linux (or something similar)
No. And getting it to work with WineX is a chore.

nothing will run on windows without having to pay massive 'im a real big vendor and promise not to be bad' fees.
I doubt it. Windows is in it's current position because everything (and by that I mean everything, even downright mallicious code) will run on it with no hassles - as long as you're logged in as Administrator (which everyone is). That's what makes Windows popular. The fact that it's been trivial to pirate helped a lot too.

Im thinking of switching to linux, but how does opengl compare with directx?
It depends. The problem is more a case of "how many hardware manufacturers have XFree86 drivers that support hardware accelerated 3D" (hint: ATi, nVidia and somewhat surprisingly 3Dfx).

and is there a nice language like blitz to program in.
Well there's BlitzMAX (and Python).

D4NM4N(Posted 2005) [#4]

soon nothing will run on windows without having to pay massive 'im a real big vendor and promise not to be bad' fees.

Everyone should read this:

http://www.againsttcpa.com/what-is-tcpa.html

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#5]
Everyone should read this
I have. A website called againsttcpa.com is probably not the most objective source, and many of the points they make are not entirely accurate, overtly biased, highly speculative and lacking of even circumstantial supporting evidence. Ross Andersons essay is much better in that regard, even tho' it's still rather biased, but at least it's intelligent and entertaining.

My favorite is this:
The liberty of opinion and the free speech on the internet would finally be eliminated
Oh yes. Because TCPA enabled programs are going to be able to determine the meaning of written text and decide whether you're allowed to publish something or not.

For TCPA to ever be successful, it would require everyone in the world to have a braodband Internet connection. Anyone writing TCPA enablled software will thus be limiting their customer potential to Korea, and it's doubtful people in Korea are going to buy TCPA enabled hard- and software.

TCPA sounds great/horrible (depending on your perspective) on paper, but when compared to a real world scenario, it's obvious that such draconian changes are simply not possible in as short a timeframe, and on as wide a scale as would be required for TCPA to be successful, or even effective.

The worrying thing about TCPA is not what it might mean for small time developers. The worrying thing is that industry leaders actually think it's a viable idea, and are throwing millions of dollars after what is in essence a pipe dream.

I mean the idea that anyone would consider Microsoft eligable to work on a "trusted computing" project when they have a proven track record of anything but trustworthyness, security and reliability - that's the alarming thing.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#6]

The problem is more a case of "how many hardware manufacturers have XFree86 drivers that support hardware accelerated 3D" (hint: ATi, nVidia and somewhat surprisingly 3Dfx).

True, but you might as well delete ATi from that list. Their 3D drivers haven't worked on any of the many distros I've tried.

Robert(Posted 2005) [#7]
You might want to try again. The newest drivers are much better than the ones that were available a couple of months ago.

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#8]
I haven't had much problems with the ATI drivers for my lappy (9600 mobility).. and I've tried a few distros now...
(..*and* I'm a linux newbie!! :p)

N(Posted 2005) [#9]
I've had no luck whatsoever in getting the Linux drivers for my X800 XT working (Slackware 10.0, kernel 2.6.7, 'new enough' Xorg). So, I gave up on them as far as Linux is concerned -- Nvidia has done a much better job supporting cross platform software than ATI (my Geforce 6800 Go runs like a dream under Linux on my laptop).

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#10]
Noel are you old enough to remember Win2k when it first came out? There was little to no support and asking hardware compaines to supply drivers was like asking Linus Torvalds if he really wouldn't rather just run CP/M... The idea was horrifying and laughed at... Have patience young Paduan... All will be equal with the force...

Rook

Kernle 32DLL_2(Posted 2005) [#11]
i tried b3d on linux but i had no luck with wine or cedega. Use BlitzMax.

WildStorm(Posted 2006) [#12]
Hi folks,
i tried Blitz3D as well with Ubuntu Dapper. It worked (till now oO) with wine and a DX to Ogl Wrapper. The only problem was, that this was _realy_ slow
For GFX-Card-Driver look here: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/

So nobody else got this thing working?

Craig Watson(Posted 2006) [#13]
Did you verify that 3D acceleration worked?
glxinfo | grep direct

WildStorm(Posted 2006) [#14]
Yes, is enabled:

wildstorm@my-0wn:~$ glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
display: :0 screen: 0
direct rendering: Yes

-> ATI Raedon 9600 All-In-Wonder

I Foudn something quite intresting: http://directxwine.sourceforge.net/

But i have no clue, how to integrate it into Wine :(