the Linux experience

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/the Linux experience

ghislain(Posted 2005) [#1]
now blitzmax is available for linux, i thought it would be a good time to try linux. i finally got blitz up n running but it took some effort. i must say linux for a newbie can be quite challenging/difficult.
blitzmax requires files/programs to be installed which may not be installed by the linux-distribution. [gcc, several 'devel'-packages, opengl-drivers]. installation of these programs may not be easy/straight-forward for beginners like me...

i tried the following packages:

* knoppix 3.7
doesn't run blitzmax due to the linker being unable to find '-lGL'

* game-knoppix
runs blitzmax.
a bit difficult to use because it doesn't have konquerer to browse directories / files.
networking may not be available right out of the box.

arklinux
when devel-suite installed runs blitzmax on my desktop.
several problems arise on my laptop.

ubuntu
unable to get the network going.

mandrake 10.1
the standard 3cd version doesn't include all the development tools required to run blitzmax. linker being unable to find '-lGL'.

mandrake 10.1 powerpack [dvd]
when development tools selected to be installed during installation process actually works immediately!

the most frustrating problems i encountered was that the linker was unable to find '-lGL'. even tough most distributions support opengl and have opengl-.h and .o files somewhere stored on hd. [but probably not were blitz or the linker is looking].
also having to be online to syncmod blitzmax makes it difficult to get blitz running if the connection somehow fails..

i hope blitz is being able to make the linux installation easier in the future. because i do think many would like to discover linux...

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#2]
the -lGL message can be fixed by installing the sdl1.2-dev package...
This can either lead to:
1. everything copmiles just fine.. A-OK!!
2. you get a "cannot find -xf86.." something..
you can resolv this by installing the xxf86vm-dev package..

This has worked for me under several distros anyway...
good luck

Robert(Posted 2005) [#3]
If BlitzMAX was repackaged as an RPM or an [url=http://www.autopackage.org]AutoPackage[/url] that might help, since most distros ship with RPM tools which can automatically locate and install missing files.

N(Posted 2005) [#4]
No RPMs, and if they do decide to use RPMs, then they'd better as heck provide a gz/bz2 archive for straight installs. As for AutoPackage, I wouldn't mind that, it seems to be a good option for distribution of software.