Ubuntu Linux (Hoary).. No sound

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Ubuntu Linux (Hoary).. No sound

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi..
I'm running BlitzMax on Ubuntu Linux (Hoary version), but I don't have any sound.. :(
The programs compiles and runs just fine, but there's just no sound output..
(and before you ask; yes, I do have sound in other apps)

Is there some package I have to install?

Any suggestions are welcome.. :)

-Lars

Matthew Smith(Posted 2005) [#2]
LarsG,

I have exactly the same issue as yourself. Previously was using Fedora 3 and had no sound problems.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2005) [#3]
LarsG - I've fixed it!!!

Ok 2nd go and this one works!

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=8882

Also if you have bad DVD playback go here to fix:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=25082

LarsG(Posted 2005) [#4]
YES!!!!! It works... :D

thanks Matt... you're the man!!! :p

Matthew Smith(Posted 2005) [#5]
I have found other issues - sometimes Totem gives an error saying the soundcard is being used, but I can get around that.

It least that works most times!

Matthew Smith(Posted 2005) [#6]
Everyone,

Just following up on the sound in Linux (in general).

I've been attempting to get more than one sound input going ie. DVD/CD and Blitz and have had no success at all.

Read somewhere that this multisound issue is sometimes caused depending on your soundcard. I recently upgraded and had left out my Soundblaster Live 5.1 card as the board came with AC97.

It was suggested that using a card such as this would fix a lot of sound issues, so giving it a try, I have found I can now hear anything at once and not receive error messages saying something is already being used.

I'm still certain (at least for Ubuntu), that you would need to ensure the instructions above have been followed.

Anyway I hope this helps others.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#7]
Just wanted to say thanks, Matt -- this worked for me too!

Matthew Smith(Posted 2005) [#8]
No worries James!

computercoder(Posted 2005) [#9]
I have been having issues within Linspire getting this to work, yet no success :( Everything with Linspire and BlitzMax has been a challenge. BlitzMax now runs and compiles code, but NO SOUND. I even have a fresh build with Linspire, BlitzMAX, and its updates. I followed your link above Matt, and I ended up disabling my sound server. I can get it all back after a bit of toying with it, but I always end up with the same configuration I started with (Jack Audio Connection Kit)

I have a SoundBLASTER 16 PCI (ES1371 - ALSA device, as it is listed in the KDE Sound Server configurator)

I am getting more stumped by the minute! Any thoughts/suggestion?

Craig Watson(Posted 2005) [#10]
You shouldn't _need_ to run a sound server.

The sound server just provides additional mixing so that applications aware of the sound server will all be able to play sound at the same time.

The problem is, applications that aren't aware of the sound server see that the audio device is in use and therefore will not play any sound. The worst offender for this seem to be the Flash plugin in Firefox.

I have had BlitzMax make noise while Artsd is running, so it is possible to run a sound server and use BlitzMax. In the short term you should try disabling the sound server completely - if Blitz starts making noise, then you will need to make some configuration changes to your sound server.

Additionally, you may have some luck running your applications through a dsp program:

For aRts -> artsdsp -m <programname>
For eSound -> esddsp <programname>

These programs will tunnel sound requests through to the sound server you are running. I'm not sure how well it works with Blitz though.

computercoder(Posted 2005) [#11]
I did *fail* to mention that I did do a killall artsd in console. Then attempted to re-run the Blitz game. Still no sound. I even rebuilt all the modules under BlitzMAX, retrying thereafter. (Don't really think that made any difference, but why not?)

I have also been looking into adjusting the timeout for the atrsd, so that its set to 1 second, and it frees itself up for the next useage. Any thoughts? I read somewhere else that you can do it through the Command Center in K, but I see no evidence of where. (There is a section that somewhat resembels it in the Sound System section, but its ALWAYS disabled. But even it doesn't state to free up after [n] seconds...) Is there a way I can do it in a configuration file, or a command in Konsole?

When I get home from work tonight, I will give your suggestion a try. I have learned a great deal about the sound system in Linux from this! This reminds me of when I was learning SAMBA, APACHE, and nVidia systems. I think once I get a good handle on the basics, this should be a breeze! (relatively speaking)

Thanks for your continued efforts in helping me out! Once this is working, I can finish out the HOWTO for Linspire 5 / BlitzMAX installation :-)

Craig Watson(Posted 2005) [#12]
I'll have to check on this, but perhaps Blitz uses OSS for sound?

If so, you may not have the Alsa OSS wrapper running.

As root, try "lsmod" and see if there's something like "snd-pcm-oss" in the list.

computercoder(Posted 2005) [#13]
Yes there is.

I also tried the above:

For aRts -> artsdsp -m <programname>
For eSound -> esddsp <programname>

with no success either.

I also did a killall artsd previously to running the Blitz game.

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#14]
hmmm, the relevant code in freeaudio.cpp starts at line 1388:
	dev->audio_fd=open("/dev/dsp",O_WRONLY,0);		

you may want to check that you do indeed have a /dev/dsp entry in your filesystem, if OSS is being emulated by another audio layer then you may want to try changing the above to "/dev/dsp0" as a test.

I asked for some help here in getting ALSA sound support added to freeaudio which may be the best solution for extending BlitzMax Linux audio support but no one has volunteered yet...

computercoder(Posted 2005) [#15]
I do have /dev/dsp in my FS. There is no trace of /dev/dsp0.

GregBUG(Posted 2005) [#16]
Hey i have a little problem with Ubuntu 5.04
Just installed and added 3d support for my ati 9700...
all ok...

installed BMax... all ok...

synchmod...ok

rebuild mods...

in system.linux.c
X11/x11.h no such file or direcory

Why?

please help...

computercoder(Posted 2005) [#17]
Did you install:

libx11-dev (6.8.1 or newer)
x-dev (6.8.1 or newer)
xlibs-dev (6.8.1 or newer)

Try these, lemme know how it does for you...

GregBUG(Posted 2005) [#18]
@computercoder

now i need gl.h

in what pakage is ?

thanks!

GregBUG(Posted 2005) [#19]
dependencies solved...
now BMax compile, but the executales won't run!!!!

helP!

ciao

GregBUG(Posted 2005) [#20]
ok...!

all problems solved...
the sound work fine here after the mod by "Matt"

thanks guys!!!

computercoder(Posted 2005) [#21]
Sweet... Now only if Linspire would co-operate that way :P

Sorry for the late response...

gl.h sound be in:

xlibmesa-gl-dev (6.8.1 or newer)
xlibmesa-glu-dev (6.8.1 or newer)

I realize you fixed it (congrats!), but this is for future questions regarding this...