Finally trying it.. Can't makemods!

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Finally trying it.. Can't makemods!

SurreaL(Posted 2005) [#1]
Well, I've recently gotten a laptop, and have decided to dual boot windows and Ubuntu linux on it. Things have been going great, so I figured I'd try to get bmax working on there as well.. well makemods got off to a great start, churning away and compiling everything, but then died on the blitzgl portion of the modules :/ I'm not sure what needs to be done, any ideas?

Here are the errors outputted by "bmk makemods":

/home/john/bmax/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.linux.c:4:38: X11/extensions/xf86vmode.h: No such file or directory
/home/john/bmax/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.linux.c:28: error: syntax error before '*' token
/home/john/bmax/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.linux.c:28: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
/home/john/bmax/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.linux.c:70: error: syntax error before '*' token
/home/john/bmax/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.linux.c: In function `calchertz':
/home/john/bmax/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.linux.c:73: error: `m' undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/john/bmax/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.linux.c:73: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/home/john/bmax/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.linux.c:73: error: for each function it appears in.)
/home/john/bmax/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.linux.c: In function `bglDisplayModes':
/home/john/bmax/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.linux.c:84: error: `XF86VidModeModeInfo' undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/john/bmax/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.linux.c:84: error: `xmodes' undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/john/bmax/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.linux.c:84: error: `m' undeclared (first use in this function)
/home/john/bmax/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.linux.c: In function `createFullscreenContext':
/home/john/bmax/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.linux.c:131: error: request for member `hdisplay' in something not a structure or union
/home/john/bmax/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.linux.c:131: error: request for member `vdisplay' in something not a structure or union
/home/john/bmax/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.linux.c:141: error: request for member `hdisplay' in something not a structure or union
/home/john/bmax/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.linux.c:141: error: request for member `vdisplay' in something not a structure or union
/home/john/bmax/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.linux.c:149: error: request for member `hdisplay' in something not a structure or union
/home/john/bmax/mod/brl.mod/blitzgl.mod/blitzgl.linux.c:150: error: request for member `vdisplay' in something not a structure or union

I have checked and xlibs are installed.. as well as xlibs-data and xlibs-dev. I'm not really sure what else needs to be done.. any suggestions? Perhaps there is some opengl package I'm missing? I've searched for opengl in my package manager, but have only come up with some irrelevant packages dealing with libraries for languages such as ruby, perl, dylan, lisp, and python.. I haven't checked yet, perhaps I can probably use framework and still compile console apps.. or maybe even things that don't use opengl.. I guess I'll poke around with that next..

thanks in advance!

SurreaL(Posted 2005) [#2]
oh.. and perhaps I should mention I'm using X.org, not XFree86.. not sure if this causes a problem somehow.

and um.. the IDE opens at least :) It's just some missing header files, I believe.. (and possibly their matching shared object files..)

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#3]
First up I would do a global search for the file xf86vmode.h, it's possibly in a different location? I was under the impresssion x.org was suppose to be compatible so it should have the same header file somewhere but maybe not in /usr/include/X11.

SurreaL(Posted 2005) [#4]
well.. I've found that most of the Xorg libs were located in /usr/X11R6/include/X11, and made a symbolic link from /usr/include/X11 to it.. however this didn't work. I also installed some stuff like GLUT and GLU, however again with no success..

I've searched for xf86vmode.h, and can't find it anywhere in /usr which is where I would expect all of the library header files to be.. I'm searching the entire system now from root, but don't expect much.. What a PITA :/ I've also googled the error but not with much success.. that's where I got the idea to try glut and glu and the sym link..

*grumble*

(oh and p.s. the search just finished the entire system.. the file ain't on there anywhere :/)

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#5]
heh, tried google?

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-17002.html

Also, I'd be interested in the correct way to set fullscreen resolutions in x.org if you come across one.

SurreaL(Posted 2005) [#6]
yay! thanks.. I had indeed tried googling it, but apparently without any luck.. I can now compile, and watch the breakout game run at roughly .3 FPS.. hehe. it's alright though.. This laptop seems to suck at anything related to a game.. it seems to run fairly smoothly on my work desktop.

This is exciting :)

{cYan|de}(Posted 2005) [#7]
probally dont have your gfx drivers setup correctly/installed