Installation requirements

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Installation requirements

steviesteve(Posted 2005) [#1]
In a nutshell - can anyone tell me which libraires etc are required to be present on your linux installation before you can use Blitzmax succesfully. I am using ubuntu and have moved from Blitzplus to Blitzmax but I am only having limited success running the program - it wont compile, then it does compile but wont run compiled program - i been poking around with different developre libraires etc but not having much luck so far!

Robert(Posted 2005) [#2]
Why won't the compiled program run?

If it won't run - execute it from the console and see what error messages you get.

I had a problem where compiled programs would start but would get stuck somewhere when executing the 'startup' code in the Max2D module. Once I had my graphics card drivers set up correctly for OpenGL it worked fine.

It seems that if you don't have OpenGL on the PC, or only a software OpenGL renderer, you mustn't include the Max2D module (ie. Use FrameWork and Import to avoid it).

The libraries required by your program will depend upon the modules that you choose to use.

poet(Posted 2005) [#3]
I play with different Linux's and I find that blitzmax doesn't work with some of them. So it would be a real help to have a list of progs&libs that are needed.
To search for the needed things only with the errors is painful.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2005) [#4]
Stevie,

Try these (i'm using Ubunto and have been able to compile)

g++, g++-3.3
gcc, gcc-3.3, gcc-3.3base
gobjc-3.3
libsdl1.2-dev
xxf86vm-dev

poet(Posted 2005) [#5]
Thanks, after installing xxf86vm-dev it works.