ATI Drivers on Slackware

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/ATI Drivers on Slackware

N(Posted 2005) [#1]
I'm curious if anyone has had any luck installing ATI's drivers under Linux, because they're giving me one hell of a headache only releasing RPMs.

I want to kill whoever decided that RPM was the way to go on releases.

So anyhow, if anyone has any ideas it'd reeeeeally help 'cause until I get my ATI drivers working under Linux I'm only able to work with Nvidia cards (and being unable to test with both brands is a bad thing).

Anyhow, info:
I'm running kernel 2.6.7, Slackware 10.0 (not slack-current yet, but I'm slowly downloading it), rest of my system specifications are in my signature (for a situation just such as this). If you need any more info, I'll attempt to get it when possible.

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#2]
A description of what problems you are actually experiencing in addition to the headache would be helpful. Are you trying to install from X or are you booting directly into the shell with the appropriate runlevel?

Also, if you have a moment, please see:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=43783

N(Posted 2005) [#3]
Skid: Installing from X would be a bad idea. And since I can't even use X without the drivers (aside from.. dun dunnn dunnnnn.. software which is.. ugly.. and slow.. and impossible to use for development..) I wouldn't bother trying.

Anyhow, using XOrg 6.4 (not sure about that, but that's what I remember- I'll try to get more precise details when I'm not on my parent's PC), so I do believe that the drivers should work (though considering ATI's track record with Linux I wouldn't be suprised if they weren't backwards compatible).

Anyhow: problems I'm experiencing: I can't install the drivers and have them work. Plain and simple. Using pkg-install/whatever-it-is-since-I-forgot-again to install the drivers after using rpm2tgz doesn't seem to work because even though I have a just-fine XOrg configuration (far as I know). I've browsed the kernel modules to see if I had to include any and I didn't see any mentioned, so I'm at a loss here.

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#4]
so you type startx and what exactly does it say?

i haven't had any experience with xorg, just xfree86 but the driver download at the ATI site only lists an x.org 6.8 version so that could be your problem perhaps...

Robert(Posted 2005) [#5]
Yes, I couldn't install the earler ATI drivers at all under SuSE 9.1 but the latest ATI drivers worked fine.

To install I did:

- Ran SaX2 to get my monitor's refresh information
- Download the RPM and place somewhere
- Switched to runlevel 3 (Open up a console as root user and type 'init 3')
- rpm -uvh <rpmname-here> (--force may be necessary)
- Ran fglrxconfig using default options in most places, apart from resolution and refresh rate settings
- Rebooted PC (simply restarting the X Server was not sufficient)
- After startup, I ran fglrxinfo to check that they had installed correctly.

Although this went very smoothly, it is still a far cry from the ease of install on Windows (Download Driver Setup, Run, Reboot)

In fairness the OS did set up my printer and networking cards with much less hassle than in Windows though.

Drago(Posted 2005) [#6]
did you make sure you had the Xorg version of the drivers not the xfree86 ones?