xmms and Blitzmax

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/xmms and Blitzmax

Kernle 32DLL_2(Posted 2005) [#1]
hi

i have a new problem. When i listen to music with xmms or an other programm, blitzmax doesn't compile.

Valio(Posted 2005) [#2]
I suppose you´re using Gnome? And you can "compile", but not "compile & run"?
On my experience Gnome can´t handle more than one "soundy" program at a time. Most programs stay mute if another program already uses the sound resources. Obviously bmax-programs halt until the sound resource is free again (it doesn´t matter if they really need the sound ressource, they just halt)...

regaa(Posted 2005) [#3]
i've made the same experience. Xmms and Blitzmax dont like each other :). Use juke instead or even realplayer :P.

Specis(Posted 2005) [#4]
ive not had a problem with xmms and blitzmax as yet, what sound server are you using for xmms? im using alsa, cos i had nothing but problems with OSS.

SurreaL(Posted 2005) [#5]
yeah I'm going to have to assume that he's using OSS.. I have similar problems (although not with bmax.. have only just started trying to get that working under linux..) with sound apps on my machine running KDE. I still haven't really found a decent solution (I try selecting ALSA and for some reason it won't work either..), but I'm pretty much certain this is an issue w/ OSS, which grants direct access to your soundcard to applications. In that respect, any other apps which try to use sound (at the same time) will just generate an error. ALSA, ESD, aRTs, and others, will act as a software mixer which will allow multiple apps to use the soundcard at once. At least.. in theory. My personal experience (on my work machine at least) has proven that this isn't always the case :/

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#6]
It is apparently up to your sound card driver to mix for multiple users, under KDE settings there is a setting to close it's handle on /dev/dsp after n seconds of not playing a sound, tweaking that will help, it defaults to comsething rediculous like 20 seconds.

I've modified freeaudio to open the handle in the audio thread so BlitzMax will no longer block when trying to open the device but similar to the joystick support, KDE just doesn't seem to get the idea of providing intelligent generic support when they can implement an "improved" unstandard interface instead.