bugs or not?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/bugs or not?

Chris C(Posted 2005) [#1]
Here's the thing, every opengl app on my disto works,indeed the ODE C samples work visually *much* faster.
I have verified that accelerated graphics is working, with the latest drivers that I compiled against my current kernel.

There are a number of samples that work just fine with win32 that either wont compile or have garbled graphics on exit.

I have discovered 2 work rounds, if the screen is garbled on exit switch resolutions (ctr/alt/+ ctr/alt/-), when the screen goes completely black switch virtual consols (ctr-alt-f1 ctrl-alt-f7) the first X console is sometimes higher on the odd distro so just start at f7 and go upwards.

When trying to port OdeMax to linux, before 1.03 it compiled and ran, but didnt quite work...
Now there are a stream of ODE errors about incorrectly set parameters! This is very odd because both ODE and my bit of C wrapping compile the same on both platforms and there are NO ODE errors using the same max code on win32 (with either debug or release odelibs)

Could someone have a go at compiling this under win32 and linux, if you feel like a challenge contact me directly!

Most worrying is that some code that used to compile wont now, giving errors like Timage identifier not recognised (to name one).

does everyone find these problems? does anyone have all their samples working?

If between us with a wide range of distros we can pin down the details of these problems we can help get the linux version rock solid, sooner.

lets keep the bitching down, dont forget its a beta...

3ghz Celeron, 512mb, fx5200, Fedora 3

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#2]
Could you be more explicit than "a number of samples".

Chris C(Posted 2005) [#3]
ok glblur and old school work

3dengine, a*, GLhead fail to name a few from the top of my
head.

The majority fail...

Are you saying *all* the samples work on your box?

Chris C(Posted 2005) [#4]

Specis(Posted 2005) [#5]
i get the garbled X on exit of things like GLHead etc.. i use the same workaround as you.

ive not had any problems with the samples failing though.. Now i havnt tried them all so some might but the majority work fine for me.

Im just about to put on a fresh distro tonight so i'll try them all over the weekend at some point once im setup :)

Specis(Posted 2005) [#6]
erm im having problems with my fresh install with most of the samples... but i think its purely down to my having the newest xorg-x11 installed....

I'll test some more when i get my work finish and get to reboot into linux :)

Chris C(Posted 2005) [#7]
There is every chance that your entirely correct specis...

I'm trying to investigate some of the new default settings
for xorg-x11 the default setting for backing store for
example...

Specis(Posted 2005) [#8]
yea for me it seems like the location of xorg has changed in the latest version... i might need to create a link to get blitzmax working again... unsure i'll test again as soon as ive finished compiling gnome