Idiot proof linux distro?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Idiot proof linux distro?

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#1]
The idiot in question being me, i'm not sure where to begin.
I downloaded zipslack but it has no gui..and wants me to give it the actual HDBlah id of my hd even before install. hate to think what it's going to ask come driver set up.

(Oh and free/not 4 cds would be nice :) )

-edit- meant to say distro that max works with.

Specis(Posted 2005) [#2]
Gentoo is free and not four cd's but the installation is rather complex so your probably best going for a binary distro..

You could try Debian, the install is well documented and you can install it with the one minimal CD.

But id probably recommend Mandrake or Redhat or Fedora Core 3 to ya :) with less recommendation on Mandrake as there kind of commercially aimed these days.

But you could try Ubuntu, im hearing good this about this distro as its based on Debian but is supposedly really easy to install, (I.e. a granny could install it) so check that out http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

JustLuke(Posted 2005) [#3]
I would definately recommend Mandrake. It's extremely easy to install, comes bundled with most of the applications that you'll need and it has a nice GUI too. It's lovely.

Robert(Posted 2005) [#4]
SuSE Personal is quite good.

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#5]
Nice suggestions..a step up from zipstick.:)

Gonna try that last one out you mentioned specis..it's name for some reason I can't remember even when directly looking at it. Now I just have to track my gran down to install it for me.

poet(Posted 2005) [#6]
One of the easiest to install is Simple Mephis, a Debian based Distro, Ubuntu is nearly same simple but not the installing.
But no Linux is really simple...
If you want it most simple, use a live CD and add what you need with "klik". Therefor you have to make a "persistant Home"- file on a partition you have. The Distro will show you how, normally in the distroīs special menu. Afaik that should not be Ntfs.
From their website:
For use with Knoppix 3.7, Simply MEPIS 2004.04, Linspire 5.0 (need to install client first), and Kanotix BH X (client preinstalled).

The url is :
http://klik.atekon.de/

Donīt worry about the ".de", itīs in english.
Mipooh

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#7]
thanks i'll check it out.

Atm I have ubunto downloaded, set aside a new 9gb partition for it, but my problems are with what you mentioned, the install process.
I have osl2000 set up so I can boot to any os easily, there's just no logical way I can see to actually start the install process I can see without a floopy disk or working cd-burner?

Maybe osl2000 can be configured to start it, like lilo/grub can..but eh easy ain't a word I'd use to describe it ;)

MarkT(Posted 2005) [#8]
ubuntu is a good choice :)

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#9]
I liked Mandrake a lot...a pity if is going more comercial..(I hope is yet freely downloaded)

Red Hat is quite simple in handling and installing. Perhaps I like better is installing method than mandrake's.

MarkT(Posted 2005) [#10]
Redhats andaconda installer is in my opinion very very easy to use. I have tried BlitsMax on fedora core 3, and the RHEL 4 beta.

But Im a debian fan. And I have BMAX on my very very custom libranet install. The same one I was getting b3d to work on ( *wink* specis :P ).

The wife's mandrake 10.1 laptop also has BMAX working just fine on it. I plan on trying vidalinux tomarrow at the office, but I dont really like gentoo (for personal reasons).

All in all, Im pretty sure with some of the peoples help around here, we could help you get bmax working on any distro you choose for whatever reason.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#11]
I guess the most idiotproof is any silver distro, means a bootable linux CD. I've seen several versions of Knoppix (based on Debian GNU). Although it's a small one and some people may say it's not a real Linux Distro, the core is there, plus a nice toolset. Especially LAS (localareasecurity.com).

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#12]
yet though...Linux is an OS in which you have to read a bit about its handling, imho. Fortunately the doc tends to be quite good in these modern distros. My first distro was Red Hat 4.0 , and things have evolved a lot since then. It was not more complex than certain stuff we've all have to do in dos and win to solve config problems etc. Specially as these distros are today.

Once it installed, u have usually a nice link to doc in the x windows, most surely (x-window is th egraphical UI handling, similar to windows) , or in console (u have a console icon there, sure) "man whatever" the command, to know its parameters and what it does, etc.

it gives much more tools for free to code out of the box than ms systems.

I think u could like it, being a coder.

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#13]
Still no luck, can't get the install program to run.
Aside from something like virtual pc(does that emulate or run code natively? on a p2-350 here.) to install it I think I'm out of options.
Disk controller on my pc's knackered, and the cd-r's I have are from the future or a time and place that did not exist when my cd-r was made.

Mark, d'you remember if any of those had a way windows exe to kickstart the install process like xp etc does?

poet(Posted 2005) [#14]
ubuntu is started from a bootable cd-rom device.
No Linux Version has any .exe for the installer. Maybe for old computers there are some bootdisks. But if yours is so old that the Cd wouldnīt boot, forget about Linux or your old comp. You would not be happy with that.
Mipooh

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#15]
It's not that cd's won't boot.(I have plenty of cd-roms) just whenever I go to write to them(4x speed) xp tells me it cannot procede. it does register as a 8x4x32 rw drive, but it philips..problems with xp. There actually was a firmware update I read about once that may fix things..but..it's more elusive than the holy grail.

Actually does anyone know how to install lilo or grub on a hd in windows it's self? Cos the ubunto docs say you can install from hard drive, you just need to set up lilo to boot the installer kernal..but from what I can gather lilo/grub can only be installed from..(drum roll) linux.

AdrianT(Posted 2005) [#16]
don't know but you might have trouble if your PC HD is NTFS too. Think it has to be fat to be recognised at all in linux. not 100% sure though.

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#17]
fat 32 can be read by Linux. Fat 16 too. NTFS..I think now some distro can read, not sure though. Safes way for me has allways been fat32. I used to deal my hd partition files from my both installed linux partitions (one can't have ever enough...XD)

So let's try to clarify.. Antony, you have a problem of cdr not reading new cds, surely as your cdr reader is too old to read a new format, of those saved lately. You seen to have the CDs in the HD, and what u wanna do is siomply burn som CDs with the distro, to make the bootable install (if boot wouldn't work, check bios settings(cdr boot))

besides u can borrow anyone's mandrake's or redhat cds, u can even purchase em burned dirty cheap from many vendors.

BTW, is common that GRUNT "nice" matter of XP not recognizing old peripherals...been called many times to homes of neighbours whose real problem was this.

Look, the ideal thing is having a win98, winxp, and any linux distro, together in a pc, if the HD is big. I have done it under demand of users having the 3 oses and wanted to have them all at a time in same pc.
is a bit complex, but can be done if done in good order.

Yet though the xp living together withg a linux is NOT easy. the only ways I know with is the way I prefer to have my boot handled..with an extra boot tool ,the free ones Ranish partition manager, and able to handle xp + linux, bootpa2.5, and XOSL.

Your problem of cdr burner, if totally no way to fix that with firmware or new drivers, u could make a deal good for: old peripherals, as u'll have more no good for xp, old apps no good for xp, tetxing ur games and libraries also in a w98. So u install a minimal w98, forcing ur boot manager (one of those I mention now) to allow w98, wxp or linux boot. Total power that way.Not only is possible, I have installed in several persons machines, also at jobs, etc.
Well, at jobs, mainly an NT4, w98, red hat. Worked as charm. Of course is more work to maintain 3 oses, but don't u love it.. ;)

Ranish (this one would restore any w98,wnt, lnux install..beware, problem with xp. If wanna have an xp, use the others)
http://www.ranish.com/part/

"BootPart is an easy tool for adding additional partitions to the Windows NT multi boot menu (for example, add the OS/2 boot manager or a Linux partition).
Bootpart 2.50 is compatible with Windows NT, Windows 2000 and Windows XP."

http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm
Go for it.Now. :)

REMEMBER: "Bootpart 2.50 in English, with LBA support".
THAT version.

XOSL Is not a ranish project. I think Ranish host it as XOSL was left without hosting, only, and seems ranish like also other products. Of course, both are free.
http://www.ranish.com/part/xosl.htm

BTW, for actually creating 2 PRIMARY partitions(fdisk will only allow creating one primeary and an extended...good to go for an w98 and an xp. But u want also a Linux.), the best way to go is the comercial Partition Magic. if you dont' have it you can let the OSes install care for that. There's a free partition resizer quite easy to handle. Indeed, there's also fips, included in Linux distro's, in certain cd folder.

I just tend to recommend to make 3 primaries, one small, like bellow 8 gigs for w98, second for linux, no smaller than 3 gigs, preferrably a bit bigger, third for XP. But XP boot will install in C: !! Wether u set the install partition in an extended E: it does not matter. The boot files will be in C: (in this config, the w98 patition) .XP will detect perfectly w98 (so that's the order to install) but not linux (guess WHY!)

So, seems Bootpa 2.5 will allow adding the linux entry into xp loading menu.Which probably is the best bet.

So, the order could be:

-make an 8 gigs partition (leave rest as empty space not (no formated, non partitioned)) install w98, install xp(tell it to use the un partitioned blank space(this is NOT the FREE space in the already existing 8gb partition!)) . Yet though, I'd rather prefer to use partition magic or any of the free ones, to generate a blank new primary partition, and then, use xp install and tell it please install there. I rater prefer that. I can use the primary later on for other matter. XP is installed, and adds the entry of old w98 in its boot menu. Now: install linux or first install in mbr (master boot record, something u do to the HD so to put there a multiOS boot load) the bootpa thing. not sure as have not used it yet. read the bootpa help or docs, previously to do the linux install. Supposedly it adds the linux entry to xp boot menu, so ready to go.

Oh, if u go the way i tell u, but wanna keep some data in HD for save, and as u say, ur cd burner wont work in xp (serious problem) , the first tool to use then is partition magic or similar, to create an extended or primary partition (remember u only can create 4 primaries) where u can put the data. That one must be different to any of the ones u'll use for installing OSes, as u'll destroy the data at install.So, there u could put the Linux cd install u have now in hd, +data to be saved later on in Cds. Once u install anew w98 (it'll kill XP boot, surelly, so while this can be done safely without killing xp, is too complex to explain, let's say u'r already agreing to destroy xp ;) ) u'll be able to install ur cd burner working again.Save the cds, save backp personal data. Install then XP in unpartitioned space as told u, resize the new partition to again leave empty unpartitioned space (a breeze using partition magic, even the old crappy 6.0 DOS version) and read doc of bootpa 2.5 with LFB support, before installing a linux.u should end up with a system that has w98, xp, linux in one HD. I've done it at homes that had 20 gigs...and with w98,NT4,linux in computers with only 4 Gigs. hechk, I remember installing at computer career student friend of mine (lol, the gfx guy helping the coder) installing a suse 6.4 in 300 MB. No kde, no gnome, no nothing...XD But he could use what he wanted for some long time.

is no easy task, u needda actually learn it, while keep being a total idiot like me. ;) Linux worth it, imho.

there are other manual ways to make it though, but let's leave them out...

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#18]
I dunno an easy way to convert NTFS fat to fat32, dunno if evenpossible.

If that's ur situation, once again I recommend to make a new parttion previously to destroy anything (ideal would be u burn some CDs backup instead, or pass through network lan to other Pc the to-save data, or heck, even use a direct parallel cable and Link Maven 2.0 demo (30 days full) to pass the info to a safer pc where u can leave that copy there, or save there cds.) ,never ever touch that partition fo installs (till u have the data properly burned) and then start the game. data loss has a 95% happen,when someone does not know what he's doing. Indeed, if u can't save the data previously. Forget it. U already lost sources long ago. Indeed...forget about linux now if u can't bakup the data. i strongly don't recommend starting it till u save ur stuff. then, whatever.

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#19]
really importantly, read the doc in bootpa 2.5 lfb support...things like this... :

"To add Linux
============
For Linux, you must install Lilo at the beginning of the Linux partition
(as with OS/2 boot manager) and then add the Linux partition with Bootpart:

When you install Linux or run liloconfig, select "Superblock of the root
linux partition" as location of Lilo. In my sample, this adds the line
"boot=/dev/sdb4" on the file /etc/lilo.conf"

that is, when u isntall any linux distro, it'd ask u wether u want Lilo at beguining of the linux partition, or at main HD mbr sector (which would delete the boot mamager u already would have, no good)

But there's much to read. Is only a page of very important info.

Of course, some thousands times easier ways are installing linux in other PC. ;) Indeed, is frankly easy to have ur other pc installed a new w98, clean and safely, so u leave your developing machine intact (u gotta explain me how doing the great project ur making u don't have a cd burning or back copy system... :o ) and have the other then install linux. I guess u want the machine for developing for linux and testing thelinux versions. Well, in ur actual situation, this is more safe, as there are many points u can wreck it all, while, knowing the stuff very well, tehre's no risk, ie: I would do it all in my main pc.(I have had up to 4 OSse loaded long ago, when installs were less dumb proof, red hat 4.0...oh, in those times,u could install with vram floppy disks..bootdisk..tehn was a bit complex, but sure now is easier) But u can have that otehr machine, instal w98, and then put a linux. Linux does recoginze perfectly w98 and will just add the entry to lilo or -imho better- Grub. Anyway, I often killed lilo or grub for ranish partition boot, as I could handle all bits of multi boot from ms-dos, where I have some more control than with linux command line.

I'm no total expert, but can do th ecomplex root safe. Just i remember I killed data often till knowing what I know now.

So, I'd recommend this second route. Andeven passing the data by network or paralell cable to the new w98 machine, and there burn the data into a cd.

Pant! ...enough...?

bradford6(Posted 2005) [#20]
Nice thing about Linux is that you can try em all. I would try then in this order"

1. Fedora Core 3
2. Debian
3. Mandrake

ATI and NVIDIA drivers have been extensively tested with Fedora and should work with a minimum of fuss. You will need to go in and do some configurations no matter which distro you use. I personally like Fedora but any Distro will work.

Once you get infected with the linux bug, it is hard to shake, have fun.

FlameDuck(Posted 2005) [#21]
The idiot in question being me, i'm not sure where to begin.
Well it's a tough one, but my granny uses Xandros Desktop 3.0. Maybe you can too? :o>

AntonyWells(Posted 2005) [#22]
Knowing you your granny was probably a covert spy who could hack her way into fort knocks ;) but I'm getting a little insecure about all these nannies out-computing me.
Talkin' bout my generation...

But thanks everyone, lot of useful info even if I am struggling to do anything useful with.(Me = the unuseful part of the equation)
I'll report back with my success or post pictures of my computers mangled corpse and the getaway if I don't.

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#23]
a kde desktop screenshot would suffice, hehe ;)

xlsior(Posted 2005) [#24]
ubuntu is a good choice :)

I tried Ubuntu LiveCD to see what kind of performance I'm getting on there, but for some reason compiled programs never 'do' anything on it.

The Gnome desktop works just fine, and when I launch a blitzMax compiled executable on it it does get started (the program appears in the process list, and remains there) but nothing will ever show up on the screen.
It doesn't switch to a full screen blitzmax app, all I see is the desktop.