BlitzMax problems with Mandrake 10.1

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/BlitzMax problems with Mandrake 10.1

kraft(Posted 2005) [#1]
I know there's already a post relating to a similar problem using BM under the *Suse* distro, but this one is to do with Mandrake and I didn't want to barge in on somone else's topic with my own issue. So I've created this new thread. Hope it's ok.

I basically can't get BM to compile anything under Mandrake. Here is the output BMax gives me when I try:-

Building swirly
Linking:swirly.debug
/usr/bin/Id: cannot find -IGL
collect2: Id returned 1 exit status
Build Error: Failed to link /home/tom/Desktop/Blitz/samples/swirly/swirly.debug
Process complete

***NB: there is no way to cut&paste between the BM IDE and different apps so I've had to eyeball-copy the output. Hope it's correct.****

I've also typed in the various test commands in the Linux console, here are their outputs:-

[tom@shuttle tom]$ gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc/i586-mandrake-linux-gnu/3.4.1/specs
Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --libdir=/usr/lib --with-slibdir=/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --disable-checking --enable-long-long --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-languages=c,c++,ada,f77,objc,java --host=i586-mandrake-linux-gnu --with-system-zlib
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.4.1 (Mandrakelinux 10.1 3.4.1-4mdk)

[tom@shuttle tom]$ ld -v
GNU ld version 2.15.90.0.3 20040415

[tom@shuttle tom]$ g++
g++: no input files

It looks as though GCC is installed correctly (??), so can anyone tell what's wrong from the above info.? Any ideas on how to fix it?

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#2]
It can't find GL which means the OpenGL headers are not there. When you installed mandrake did you select the developer packages or did you install GCC yourself?

kraft(Posted 2005) [#3]
I'm not 100% sure if I chose developer/gcc with the initial installation, when I first installed Mandrake. But I definitelly installed it with the RPM Manager...not manually.

Would installing it after the initial installation make a difference do you think?

Ole JR(Posted 2005) [#4]
The OpenGL headers is in another RPM, not the gcc devel one..
I *think* maybe what I did was install the libMESAGLU1 rpms..
Or was it libMesaglut3.....
I'm not sure those are the right ones, but it compiles the demos...
That's the only *GL* rpms on my system (Mandrake 10.1) anyway..

kraft(Posted 2005) [#5]
I tried that too after reading on opengl.org that the Mesa lib was virtually identical to the "official" opengl libs. So I installed everything I could find in the RPM manager relating to Mesa, but still no joy :(

The only reason I can think of is that maybe Mandrake is installing libray headers/files in non standard/conventional directories, so BM can't find them. But then if you have it working on your system I guess that can't be the cause. :/ Really don't know.

Ole JR(Posted 2005) [#6]
Probably stupid question: You did install the devel rpms for the above packages??
If you do a ls /usr/include/GL/ what's your output??

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#7]
I too am having trouble compiling in Mandrake 10.1 (AMD64 version).
except I get:

/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /home/kris/BlitzMaxBeta101/.bmx/test.bmx.d.o when searching for /home/kris/BlitzMaxBeta101/.bmx/test.bmx.d.o
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find /home/kris/BlitzMaxBeta101/.bmx/test.bmx.d.o

I'm assuming this is a 64bit issue.

***NB: there is no way to cut&paste between the BM IDE and different apps so I've had to eyeball-copy the output. Hope it's correct.****

Select the text, middle-click and then you can paste into a text editor as normal.

Ole JR(Posted 2005) [#8]
@Perturbatio:
Take a look her: www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=42276
and here www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=42234

And yes it look like a 64bit issue...

innerspace(Posted 2005) [#9]
kraft: first off, if mandrake 10.1 is your first linux, then one of the things you should know is, just by installing xxxx.rpm package just gives you the compiled version of it, now I'm a linux purist, I believe that the binary package should also include the source, just as if you'd downloaded a tarball to install but this is not the case with mandrake, also mandrake seams to see fit to put something in the wrong places that are expected.

kraft(Posted 2005) [#10]
Innerspace, you are right. Mandrake does seem to install "standard" integral system files in odd places. For example, after hours of exploring the Mandrake directories I was unable to find the "usr/include/GL" directory which contains the gl .h header files. I eventualy found them hidden in a folder called usr/X11R6. So the physical path in MDK was: usr/X11R6/include/GL. Adding a link to the X11R6 include directory in the user/ folder solved my BMAX compiling problem. What X11R6 relates to I have no idea. (?) But to put files there which programs (like BMax) will be look for seems idiotic.

Linux would be a lot easier to use if all developers of Linux warez got together to agree on some common things such as basic system file directory layouts. That way everyone would know where they were and where to look to solve problems.

Ole JR(Posted 2005) [#11]
@innerspace: First of, I'm currently running B-Max on Mandrake 10.1 without problems.. And second.. If you want the sources for XX program when installing, you just grab the *.src.rpm instead of the *.ixxx.rpm..
There is no RPM based distro that include the source *and* compiled version in the same package.
And things like libs is in my experience placed in the same location if you run ReadHat, Fedora, Suse or Mandrake.. I've been running all 3..
As a note I would rather run Fedora, but my machine won't take it.. (Something about "not enough diskspace" when I try to install.. There's "only" 20GB..)