BlitzMax problems with SuSe9.1

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/BlitzMax problems with SuSe9.1

Kernle 32DLL_2(Posted 2005) [#1]
hi

i bought BMax 5 days before and now i tried it for the first time.
i got an error message " sh: line 1: g++ : command not found
Build error: Failed to link /home/justfreeman/Coden/BlitzMaxBeta101/test
process complete

i hope somebody is able to help me.

JaviCervera(Posted 2005) [#2]
You must install GCC.

Kernle 32DLL_2(Posted 2005) [#3]
i think GCC is installed, do i need special version of gcc?

Todd(Posted 2005) [#4]
You don't need a special version, but you should have at least v2.95 or v3.3 of GCC. You can check by opening up an terminal window and typing 'gcc -v'. If it works, then check the linker by typing 'ld -v' at the command line. If one of them doesn't work, reinstall GCC.

Ole JR(Posted 2005) [#5]
More spesific you need the RPM for c++ support in gcc: gcc-c++-3.X.X-XX.i586.rpm.. (XX = something... Latest is 3.3.3-41)
That's the one that provides the g++ binary..

Kernle 32DLL_2(Posted 2005) [#6]
justfreeman@linux:~> gcc -v
Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.3/specs
Configured with: ../configure --enable-threads=posix --prefix=/usr --with-local-prefix=/usr/local --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --enable-languages=c,c++,f77,objc,java,ada --disable-checking --libdir=/usr/lib --enable-libgcj --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/g++ --with-slibdir=/lib --with-system-zlib --enable-shared --enable-__cxa_atexit i586-suse-linux
Thread model: posix
gcc version 3.3.3 (SuSE Linux)
justfreeman@linux:~> ld -v
GNU ld version 2.15.90.0.1.1 20040303 (SuSE Linux)

i think everything is ok, but it doesn't work...
please help

Robert(Posted 2005) [#7]
Open up a console, type g++ and let us know what happens.

Kernle 32DLL_2(Posted 2005) [#8]
when i type g++ in a console, i get an error message..
bash: g++: command not found

i'm sorry for the double-post

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#9]
which means you need to install g++, I haven't got experience with Suse but I'd be suprised if there isn't some friendly package manager that lists the C++ / G++ packages in a developer tools section so you can install them easily from the distro disks

Ole JR(Posted 2005) [#10]
As I said: gcc-c++-3.3.3-XX.i586.rpm (XX = something... Latest is 41)

Install this and it works..

Kernle 32DLL_2(Posted 2005) [#11]
ok i installed gcc-c++-3.3.3.41.i586.rpm, then type g++ in the console

justfreeman@linux:~> g++
g++: no input files

then i tried to compile
Print "test"
waitkey

then

Building untitled1
Compiling:untitled1.bmx
flat assembler version 1.52
3 passes, 3662 bytes.
Linking:untitled1.debug
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.3/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lGLU
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Build Error: Failed to link /home/justfreeman/special/BlitzMax/tmp/untitled1.debug
Process complete

Ole JR(Posted 2005) [#12]
Now it is some kind of Gl-devel rpm missing..
On my Mandrake 10.1 it was libMesaGLU1-devel OR libMesaglut3-devel.. Not sure witch one....

Kernle 32DLL_2(Posted 2005) [#13]
ok, i installed both now i get new error ...sorry

Building untitled1
Compiling:untitled1.bmx
flat assembler version 1.52
3 passes, 3662 bytes.
Linking:untitled1.debug
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-suse-linux/3.3.3/../../../../i586-suse-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -lcomdlg32
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Build Error: Failed to link /home/justfreeman/special/BlitzMax/tmp/untitled1.debug
Process complete

Ole JR(Posted 2005) [#14]
?? comdlg32?? Never seen/heard of it.. To me it sounds like some windows thingy.. Sorry..
I also did a search on http://www.rpmfind.net , and nothing came up.. (Great site for finding rpm things btw...)

Kernle 32DLL_2(Posted 2005) [#15]
i serched for comdlg32 and i found it . these file is part of Wine.....k, i try to fix the probem.

Is there a distribution,which have no problems with BlitzMax?

Ole JR(Posted 2005) [#16]
Well I'm using Mandrake 10.1, and the only thing I had to install "extra" was the GL stuff.. But some others reported that there was trouble with bmax so.. I think it boils down to what's installed & type of gfc-card/driver and so on..
When it comes to your setup, and wine..... I don't get it.. I've never installed anything wine like on my Linux-box...
B-Max don't need it as far as I know.
When that's said, my box is pretty much out of the "box",ie didn't change anything drastic..
Only thing I've done is install the official nvidia driver. Everything else is from the cd's/update site..

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#17]
MU, There is no way it should be trying to link with comdlg32, I would try and rebuild your modules again (rebuild modules without quick build).

If you are still getting it I would blame what ever you did to install the GL libraries, what exactly did you do?

Ole JR(Posted 2005) [#18]
@skidracer: And then I have a question.. Why is everyone talking about rebuilding the modules??? All I did was Sync modules, and it works.. Not that I've done any *big* kind of testing but.. Could you explain...

*EDIT: Just for fun I now *did* try to rebuild modules..
And I get this error:
Compiling blitz_app.c
/mod/blitz.mod/brl.mod/blitz_app.c: In function 'bbReadStdin':
/mod/blitz.mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_appc:31: error: assignment of read-only location

*UPDATE: the offending line:
buf[1023]=0;if( p=strchr(buf,'\n') ) *p=0;
changed to:
buf[1023]=0;if( p=strchr(buf,'\n') ) p=0;
And it works... At least I hope so..

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#19]
Heh, I was just thinking that myself.

The reason we are currently dependent on full gcc tools (and the reason perhaps i've been mistakenly thinking we should be supporting linux users rebuilding the modules) is that I thought linking would be different on each system, with the default G++ link options being a little intimidating to grasp / replicate to make linux blitzmax standalone.

Thinking about it now, I think we should probably make an effort to try and come up with a distribution that is standalone like we are doing with win32/mingw with ld, libs and includes included in the BlitzMax directory tree.

So yes, the solution for Mr FreeMan could be to resync the modules, DON'T try rebuilding them and see if you can get some samples to run.

Todd(Posted 2005) [#20]
@Ole JR: Actually, you just need to change "const char *p" to "char *p" in blitz_app.c. (Edit: Yep it's 'p' not 'buf'. Wrong line)

Ole JR(Posted 2005) [#21]
@Todd: ... ? There's no const char *buf in blitz_app.c, only const char *p.. But that's the one to change. ;-)
(Found that in a thread *after* posting here..)

@skidracer: I understand what you're saying. But it isn't required to rebuild modules for everyone is it??
Wouldn't a normal install be: Download, extract, sync modules & your done..?? And when compilation in b-max complains about some missing -I stuff then all there is to it, is getting the right devel-package..? Or like here g++ (or gcc-c++)..

And no, I don't think you need the ld & stuff included with b-max.. Most distros comes with it anyway, and it isn't *that* hard to install if you missed it at systemsetup ;-)

Specis(Posted 2005) [#22]
Unless your version of ld is incompatible with the version blitzmax seems to want to use :)

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=42276

that post by me :)

Ole JR(Posted 2005) [#23]
@Specis: Or is this -> x86_64 the troble?? But I get your point...

Specis(Posted 2005) [#24]
i dunno Ole JR, possibly it could be :) but as its compiling the modules perfectly i think it seriously is just an ld compatibility problem :)

Ole JR(Posted 2005) [#25]
Ok.. Didn't know it compiled the modules... But at the same time I find it strange that it's the version of ld.. Considering people are running everything from ReadHat 9 to Fedora Core 3... There just have to be different versions out there.. If you do ld -v what do it say?? Mine is 2.15.92.0.2.20040927...

Specis(Posted 2005) [#26]
Same

[specis@localhost ~]$ ld --version
GNU ld version 2.15.92.0.2 20040927

Ole JR(Posted 2005) [#27]
And mine is working so, what's left?? 32 vs 64...?

Specis(Posted 2005) [#28]
seems that way, there must be differnces between the x86 and x86_64 toolsets, on a chance maybe my version of ld needs to run in one of its many emulation mode's or something :) im at a loss, but i suppose we could compair option lists from ld?

Ole JR(Posted 2005) [#29]
And the list goes on... Eh.. It was a loong list of options there..!
Maybe I found something of interest..
ld: supported targets: elf32-i386 a.out-i386-linux efi-app-ia32 elf32-big elf64-x86-64 elf64-little elf64-big srec symbolrec tekhex binary ihex trad-core

ld: supported emulations: elf_i386 i386linux elf_x86_64

Supported demangler style: {none, auto, gnu, lucid, arm, hp, edg, gnu-v3, java gnat, compaq}

All this and (much) more from ld --help
But I don't think it help..... ;-)