BlitzMax Linux

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/BlitzMax Linux

MagicalTux(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello all!
I hope BlitzMax will be a great product on linux too. From what I heared it's working well. Unfortunately I don't have Macintosh so I hope Linux version will be available soon :p

I'd just like to say that it's a really good idea to make it working on Linux too, it was really missing :)

MagicalTux
Blitz Basic ][ user on Amiga
Blitz2D user
Blitz3D user
BlitzPlus user
and.. future BlitzMax user !

FlameDuck(Posted 2004) [#2]
Unfortunately I don't have Macintosh so I hope Linux version will be available soon :p
Don't hold your breath. The wintendo crowd are going to get it first. On the plus side anything you do write in the Mac/Windows version will almost certainly work flawlessly on Linux. So don't throw out your Windows box just yet! :o>

skidracer(Posted 2004) [#3]
OMDB

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#4]
over your dead body??? What? That mean linux will be out before windows? That happens I want a refund. :)

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#5]
I hope BlitzMax will be a great product on linux too.

From what I've heard BMax proggies run much faster under Linux than the other two systems... but there's plenty of time left for Mark to change that <grin>

FlameDuck(Posted 2004) [#6]
From what I've heard BMax proggies run much faster under Linux than the other two systems.
Well it's a bit hit and miss with Linux, at least to a bigger degree than it is with Windows. If you thought driver compatibility issues was bad on Windows, wait until you have to deal with stuff like XFree compatibility issues. I think it's more accurate to say that BlitzMAX programs will potentially run faster under Linux.

Thankfully most Linux users are, generally speaking, more enlightened about the nuts and bolts of their OS (this is not a stab at Windows owners, okay? Just the consequence of not being able to get any Supermarket PC's with Slackware on them), and are usually better equiped to correct a faulty setup.

All that said, I have absolute faith in Marks and Simons ability to pull this one off.

I think it's going to be interesting (to say the least) to see what happens when BlitzMAX arrives for Linux.

That mean linux will be out before windows?
Even if that was the case, the riot that would cause is most assuredly not worth it. :o>

dan_upright(Posted 2004) [#7]
Even if that was the case, the riot that would cause is most assuredly not worth it. :o>
but you've got to admit the accompanying laugh riot that it would cause among the linux users would spread some much needed christmas cheer

{cYan|de}(Posted 2004) [#8]
be happy eat cake

poet(Posted 2005) [#9]
Nice to have this Blitzmax for Linux. Just the first impression trying out the sample of breakout looked nice.
Up to now the most important point preventing people to use linux was the lack of nice games, most of that what was there was really computer-stoneage-stuff. That can change a lot now.
A good chance for upcoming Linux-programmers too...
I feel good with that....
Mipooh

Robert(Posted 2005) [#10]
The one thing I think would be very useful for BlitzMAX Linux would be a software 2D driver. OpenGL is very difficult to get working on some cards (ATI for example).

Ole JR(Posted 2005) [#11]
@Robert: Isn't MESA3D software OpenGL only??

Robert(Posted 2005) [#12]
MESA3D is *very* slow though. I think that a well-implemented software driver could probably be faster.

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2005) [#13]
I think one of the real hardships of linux is the lack of a really goos software installation tool... Macn and Win as well but both of those have their points... I think ALL of those OS' need a truly great software REMOVAL tool.

I agree that Linux has a sparse amount of gamage... I run Unreal on my Redhat box and it works fine... That and tetris and mahjong solitare seem to be all there is to waste time with at work.

We are attempting to code an embroidery program for Linux. Very hard but we have been in negotiation to use Corel for Linux as a base. The hitch is that there is a program called DRAWings that runs on Win that does the same thing and uses the same backbone.

Still... not just games... Blitz could be used to program so much more on Linux.

-RZ

PS Tikrit is not so bad once you remember not to leave the base!!!