Ubuntu Linux

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Ubuntu Linux

Yue(Posted 2015) [#1]
I have been learning BlitzMax, and that motivated me to install on my laptop hp pavilion dv2000 Ubuntu. The inquetudes that I have are: What are the advantages and disadvantages of this operating system ?, What I can learn from Ubuntu?

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#2]
Ubuntu is a Linux version with a more Windows GUI like approach for easier installing and configuration(for the most part). Where as in other Linux variants almost all was done via the command line interface(entering commands as in MS-Dos). About 10 years ago it used to run more speedy than Windows at lower spec PC's, well, at least back then. I've seen impressive demo's of a spinning cube with a desktop on each side and on the different desktops it was running multiple movies, playing 3d games and running quite a few other intensive applications, such as 3d rendering, all at the same time. Windows couldn't top that at the time(don't know if can already).

Nowadays it shouldn't matter that much for most PC's have enough raw power to do sort of the same on Windows. Only now in Windows 10 I've seen the appearance of multiple desktops though.

However as it's not really a largely established OS, or at least not nearly as much as Windows, I do not see the relevance of it. Only reason it's good that it's there imho is for keeping Windows/IOS from gaining monopolies and doing with their users whatever they like. If 'they' turn really, really nasty on us, we all will just jump over to the Ubuntu and or other Linux options. So it's a nice threat to keep them a bit more friendly as they otherwise may be.

Disadvantages are probably: less supported/available software/drivers and smaller amount of users. Not really a market share to make software for I think unless as a hobby and as an exercise or supporting people who cannot afford Windows, but uh.. Win 10 upgrade was free so no reason anymore(at least for now).

Advantages: Linux/Unix used to be the OS most popular at universities, but I don't know if this is still the case.
Linux(not Ubuntu I think) is running on quite a few servers out there. I once installed a LAN(local area network) as a training exercise of my education, with a HP ProLiant server running Windows Server 2003 with an Active Directory structure(where the client PC's would log onto), a Debian Linux machine used as a file server with Samba to interface between Windows and Linux and a 3rd machine serving as a simple gateway/router to the internet and some 30 PC's as clients running XP/Win2000 which were having their OS and software installed over the network. I don't remember which were serving as the DHCP(Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol)/DNS(Domain Name System and backup DHCP server(this was way way back lol).

Was fun to setup though. Important thing to know is that for Linux one usually needs to have a deeper understanding of the functionality / protocols behind things, such as TCP/IP, ARP(address resolution protocol), and which commands to use for instance to add user rights and synching time across PC's across the network and that kind of stuff. If you wanna become a hacker or System Administrator, then it's the way to go I think, for you'll get into some territories that are otherwise transparent to the user(I quickly picked up a few nasty things, which I've already forgotten about). ;-)

For learning purposes Ubuntu is probably the lesser option, better to go Debian, Red Hat or whatever it is that their using these days, for then you'll have to all yourself manually, instead going the Windows/Ubuntu way.

Hope this helps.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#3]
Of course IOS, Android, and the likes(even AmigaOS I believe) were all Unix/Linux inspired.

Yue(Posted 2015) [#4]
Definitely I have a lot to learn, that's my hobby. In the last few hours I've been testing Linux operating systems, as isntalarlos from a USB wireless set up as a vedadero connexon and headache.

My tests are that installing Ubuntu, does not recognize my wireless in my home, and that the system does not turn off when I give in turn.

Today you install Linux Fedora, if I recognized this system wireless connection but it seems very slow internet connection.

Now I'm installing Debian, but think what you say is good to know that eixste an alternative to Windows, and what I am doing is that BlitzMax have the option to create Linux.

I appreciate your comment. :)

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#5]
Don't mention it. ;-)