Installing Blitz Max on Ubuntu

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Installing Blitz Max on Ubuntu

Twinprogrammer(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hello,

I need some help with downloading Blitz Max on Ubuntu 14.10. I have the tar.gz file, but when I choose to run the application, nothing happens. I know that this is the cause of missing libraries, but I have a problem with installing them. I used ldd to find all the libraries used, and I found these two in the list:

libXft.so.2 => not found
libXpm.so.4 => not found

How do I download these? I'm pretty sure it's something to do with sudo apt-get install, but whenever I type the library in, Terminal says that it can't locate the package. I'm fairly new to ubuntu and linux in general (this is my third day of owning one), so a slight dumbing down to the answers would be most appreciated.

degac(Posted 2015) [#2]
Hi

I think it's better you look at the BlitzMax Linux thread
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=104167

There are many solutions (as at every Linux update something is missing, something is added and so on).

Codebox(Posted 2015) [#3]
Hi Twinprogrammer,

in short: for compiling under Linux you'll also have to get the -dev packages installed.

So, in your post, if you're using the shell/terminal, use
#sudo apt-get install libxft-dev libxpm-dev

The easiest way to determine which packages you'll need, is to press CTRL-D within the MaxIDE and recompile the modules from scratch (all of them), it shows which lib you're missing and you can install it right away.
It's not much usually. If I remember correctly about 5-8 libs (depends on Distro-Installation and chosen Tasks like Software Developement, Database, Desktop Environment etc.)

and of course, take a look into degac's posted link!

Twinprogrammer(Posted 2015) [#4]
Ok, I looked at the link, and I was able to open BlitzMax, but when I tried to run a simple "Hello World" program, I got this error in the output:
Building untitled1
Compiling:untitled1.bmx
flat assembler  version 1.68  (1048560 kilobytes memory)
3 passes, 3254 bytes.
Linking:untitled1.debug
/usr/bin/ld: /home/Kyle/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/lua.mod/lua.debug.linux.x86.a(loadlib.c.debug.linux.x86.o): undefined reference to symbol 'dlopen@@...'
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Build Error: Failed to link /home/Kyle/BlitzMax/tmp/untitled1.debug
Process complete

Any ways to solve this?

Codebox(Posted 2015) [#5]
Ah, this annoying behavior ... since a while you have to use

?Linux
Import "-ldl"
?

at the beginning of your code, as the line
/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
indicates.

Hope it helps

Twinprogrammer(Posted 2015) [#6]
That fixed it. Thanks for all of your help, guys!