How to install BlitzMax on Ubuntu 13.10 64bit

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/How to install BlitzMax on Ubuntu 13.10 64bit

Razmonger(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi all - new member here,

Having recently decided to ditch windows all together and that linux is the way forward, I now only have this my OS of choice. I am however quite new to it and hence not completely comfortable yet with some the more "technically complicated" ways of installing things compared to windows, and its usage in general.

I've decided to buy BlitzMax due to its linux compatibility and completely failed at the first hurdle - I can't get it to work at all on Ubuntu 13.10 64bit.

I've extracted the .tar.gz file, double-clicked on the "MaxIDE" executable and get the following error:

Could not display "MaxIDE".
There is no application installed for “executable” files.
Do you want to search for an application to open this file?

Since there are no instructions with the the program package I have no idea whether this is even the right place to start. I also have the feeling that getting the IDE to work is just the start of the installation process.

I tried to change the permissions to "allow executing file as program", but it does not allow it.

There seem to be various topics on this forum about similar problems, so sorry if I'm just bringing up an old topic, but I basically have no idea where to start and need a complete idiot's step by step guide.

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with this as I really don't want to resort to going back to windows!

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#2]
Follow what is here
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=101454

Razmonger(Posted 2014) [#3]
Only just managed to get some free time to try this today, and I can't quite believe it but it seems to have worked. I followed the instructions, double clicked on the icon and the IDE started up.

Thank you ever so much for putting together such a guide!

It is a shame that the product does not come with such detailed instructions, or even better, packaged in a convenient .deb file. Perhaps that is just the nature of linux.

Anyway, thanks again and wish me luck on my first foray into the world of game programming!

Brucey(Posted 2014) [#4]
Good luck!