How To: Dependencies OpenSUSE 13.x, Leap 42.x

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/How To: Dependencies OpenSUSE 13.x, Leap 42.x

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#1]
The scripts below will get you up and running on both the 32bit and 64bit releases of openSUSE 12.3, 13.1
It will be up to you install and graphic drivers.

INSTALL THE BLITZ MAX BUILD ENVIRONMENT

1) Make sure that your system is up to date.
Use either Yast or the command below. NOTE: You should do this a few times with a system restart to make sure.
sudo zypper update

2) Open a text editor and copy and paste the script below. Save it as bmax-install.sh in your user home directory.

3) Set the new bmax-insatll.sh file execute permission.
chmod +x ~/bmax-install.sh

4) Open a terminal and execute the command below. Enter the root password when asked and answer yes when asked to install the packages.
cd ~/ && sudo ./bmax-install.sh

PATCH BLITZ MAX TO FIX SOUND ISSUES ETC

1) Extract BlitzMax to your user home directory.

2) In a text editor create a new text file and copy and paste the script below. Save it as patch.sh in the same location where the BlitzMax directory is (in this case the users home), but not inside of the BlitzMax directroy.
NOTE: The patch file only works on a clean extracted version of BlitzMax (tested of 1.48) and may break a modified version and also sets the default audio driver to pulse audio. To change the audio driver you will need to edit /mod/brl.mod/freeaudioaudio.mod/freeaudioaudio.bmx and /mod/pub.modfreeaudio.mod/freeaudio.bmx.
NOTE: If you should get an error such as "Assertion 's' failed at pulse/simple.c:255, function pa_simple_free(). Aborting.". Then check that pulse audio is set up correctly

3) Change the new patch files execute permission.
chmod +x ~/patch.sh

4) Run the patch file with the command below
cd ~/ && ./patch.sh

5) Rebuild the modules with
~/BlitzMax/bin/bmk makemods -a

List of package dependencies require for deployment
libx11-6-32bit libxxf86vm1-32bit libpulse0-32bit alsa-plugins-pulse-32bit libopenal1-32bit libfreetype6-32bit
libglu1-32bit libxpm4-32bit mesa-gl1-32bit libxft2-32bit

Tricky(Posted 2015) [#2]
Question, does this script still work (and it will also be nice to my Virutal Box (Host = Mac Mountain Lion)) or is there a newer version required these days?

(I will use my VM most of all for compiling Linux builds of my projects only)

dawlane(Posted 2015) [#3]
Not many people use OpenSUSE for BlitzMax development, so these scripts will not get updated very often unless someone asks. As far as I know, only Brucey has been known to use SUSE/OpenSUSE.

The dependency install script needs to be updated to detect if the distribution is 13.1 or 13.2. There has been a name change for the MesaGL libraries, but I've add comments so the script can be edited. As far as I know there have been no changes to 12.3 (should now be defunct as of Jan 2015) or 13.1.

If the script complains that there is no dependency by that name, then use YaST to find the correct package name and remove the bad name from the script and replace with the new one.
You should then re-run the script so it can install the missing packages and make any links.

The patch script need copying over from http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=101454

If the VM guest is a 64bit distribution, then you may get weird graphic problems or the guest may crash. You may even get this with a 32bit guest. This is a problem for the VM vendor to solve.

Tricky(Posted 2015) [#4]
A bit late but BMax did work on SUSE for me after running these scripts. :)

dawlane(Posted 2016) [#5]
For those who are interested. The OpenSUSE team are now releasing openSUSE based on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES); hence the name change and the fact that from now on only a 64 bit distribution is going to be released.

I've cleaned up the install script and tested it against the new LEAP 42 series.