HOW TO: INSTALL ON UBUNTU 12.04 64-BIT LTS

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/HOW TO: INSTALL ON UBUNTU 12.04 64-BIT LTS

JoshK(Posted 2013) [#1]
These are my instructions based on many, many reformats. This will also install everything you need to run GTKMaxGUI.

1. Run this in the terminal. If you disable updates in the settings, you will need to re-enable them or these commands won't work. You will need to hit "Y" a few times during this process:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

2. Restart the machine. This may or may not be necessary. If it isn't, we can reduce these instructions down to a single script.

3. Copy the code below into a file called "BlitzMax_Install.sh" and put it on your desktop. Right-click on the file and open the Properties dialog. Select the Permissions tab and then check "Allow executing file as a program". (Not sure if this is necessary or not.)

4. Open the terminal and move to the desktop:
cd ~/Desktop

5. Now run the above script:
sudo sh BlitzMax_Install.sh

That's it! Depending on a few things, it may be possible to reduce this to a single script you run from the terminal.

JoshK(Posted 2013) [#2]
And here is everything in a single script, with OpenGL added, if you are feeling lucky:

Scaremonger(Posted 2013) [#3]
I've been rebuilding my Laptop this evening after a disk-crash and saw this just as I was downloading the executable.

I'm using Xubuntu64 12.04LTS and it works a treat.
Cheers,

Kryzon(Posted 2013) [#4]
Thank you for sharing.

*(Posted 2013) [#5]
Excellent stuff will make it much easier in future rather than trawling through all the forum posts to get it to work :)

*(Posted 2013) [#6]
a "sudo apt-get autoremove" at the end wouldnt go amiss to clean up the install too :)

JoshK(Posted 2013) [#7]
I foolishly tried to install Mate because I wanted to replace the default Ubuntu desktop. Big mistake, because it bricked my OS and I had to reinstall.

I ran the single script above and was able to compile and run a program with no issues. It took about 30 minutes to download everything, and I had to hit "Y" a few times during the process.

Derron(Posted 2013) [#8]
for apt-get you can use the "-y" param to automate "yes"

also you could do:
"echo yes | command-wanting-yes"
or
"yes | command-wanting-yes" (yes is a command printing "y"
or
"yes -Y | command-wanting-yes"

Mate <> Ubuntu.

Mate is a DE, ubuntu is a DE.
You can replace xfce with kde, kde with gnome, lde with xfce ...

Welcome to linux land.

bye
Ron

Grisu(Posted 2014) [#9]
BMX is a nightmare when it comes to installation. Thanks for your efforts.

Does this work for KUbuntu 13.10 (32 Bit) as well?

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#10]
Does this work for KUbuntu 13.10 (32 Bit) as well?
You should use the script found here and will be the only one that I will maintain as long as BlitzMax is viable product. If you wish to use GTK then you will need to add libgtk2.0-dev manually. There should be no need for system links on a 32bit distribution or the appending of :i386 to package names. The reason why that any script I wrote doesn't install GTK is because setting up GTK to display widgets correctly is a hit and miss affair on a 64bit distributions.

skidracer(Posted 2014) [#11]
I don't really want to go down the ln path for installing on a new ubu64 12.04 install.

I was hoping to use :i386 package names for the script or modify blitzmax link information so specific versions can be correctly found for ia32 builds.

TBC

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#12]
@skid: use the script I wrote. It covers Ubuntu 12.04+, Debian 7, Linux Mint 13+ and uses :i386 not a full ia32 install. If you are going to use gtk off the top of my head you will need, gtk2.0-0:i386, gtk2.0-dev and maybe libpangox-1.0-0:i386 and libpangox-1.0-dev. You will need to add Import "-lgdk_pixbuf-2.0" to the source code. The gtk system links in the script are needed.

skidracer(Posted 2014) [#13]
Sounds good, will have a look at that tomorrow.

JoshK(Posted 2014) [#14]
Ubuntu 14.04 changes everything, and none of this works. It's so different, I really recommend staying with 12.04 LTS.

sendelbros(Posted 2014) [#15]
Thanks a lot for the script - first time it runs on my VM.
I just downgraded to 12.04 and it worked in 2min.

But excuse me for this (linux-)noob question:
Do I need to run the script on other systems just executing the final built binary, too?
tried: "./HelloWorld"
worked fine on BlitzMax-ubuntu 12.04 LTS

got me an memoryerror on my VPS
Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS (GNU/Linux 2.6.32-042stab094.7 x86_64)

sendelbros(Posted 2014) [#16]
Memory Error was solved by the Germans on blitzforum.de :
Seems like the ubuntu 12.04 LTS Server version dislikes:

Import BRL.System
(maybe others, too!)

When removing alle commands using this Mod the binary runs like charm.

Maybe this info helps other users