64BIT PC Games on way and Next year?

Archives Forums/General Discussion/64BIT PC Games on way and Next year?

Hotshot2005(Posted 2013) [#1]
I have notice that

Watchdog
Call of Duty Ghost

Both are using 64BIT OS

So would be good time to upgrade to 64BIT Window?

JoshK(Posted 2013) [#2]
You haven't already?

Hotshot2005(Posted 2013) [#3]
I going to upgrade my ram to 8GB Ram and get 64BIT Window 7 :)

GfK(Posted 2013) [#4]
You'll still be "entry level" with 8GB. Get more.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#5]
Hang on. Why's this in the Linux section??

Hotshot2005(Posted 2013) [#6]
LOL Sorry I didnt read it properly to post thread as should be in General Discussion

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#7]
Unless you have a genuine reason to stick with 32-bit, it's been "a good time" to upgrade to a 64-bit OS for *years*.

It's been a very long time since I couldn't run a piece of software because it wouldn't work under 64-bit.

And to echo GfK: RAM is cheap. If you can afford to, I'd strongly recommend getting more than 8GB.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#8]
And to echo GfK: RAM is cheap. If you can afford to, I'd strongly recommend getting more than 8GB.
...and just to add to that, check how much RAM your motherboard actually supports before going out and buying some. Also, make sure your OS supports your chosen amount of RAM, too. For example, Windows 7 Home Premium won't support more than 16GB - you need Pro or Ultimate for that (I found this out the hard way).

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#9]
Windows 7 Starter is limited to 2GB
Windows 7 Home Basic is limited to 8GB
Windows 7 Home Premium is limited to 16GB
Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate are limited to 192GB
(Note that Windows 7 has the same kernel as Windows Server 2008 R2, which supports between 8GB and 2TB of RAM depending on the version you have..)

They're 100% artificial limitations, designed to upsell you to a more expensive version of windows.

Here's the full list of supported memory amounts for various Microsoft Windows varieties: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx

Hotshot2005(Posted 2013) [#10]
Home Basic is really awful as I remember when I used Home Basic Vista!

I just saw 64GB Ram and that really OVERKILL unless if you Building 3D GTA WORLD on High end PC!

Ian Thompson(Posted 2013) [#11]
They're 100% artificial limitations, designed to upsell you to a more expensive version of windows.

I wasn't aware of this, this is pretty low, even for M$.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2013) [#12]

I think they've been doing this for a while now. I can remember the mean reason for buying Vista was that it supported a new version of DirectX. I can remember a game coming out that was better in Vista than XP, until someone hacked the dll files and made the new version of DirectX run on XP as well. M$ have been low for a while.

Ironically despite the artificial limitations they put in place, it didn't make many people upgrade, even now.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#13]
And just for comparison: The Steam hardware survey shows that ~70% of Steam users run the 64-bit version of MS Windows.

(Win7 x64 alone has a 51.4% share)

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#14]
I just saw 64GB Ram and that really OVERKILL unless if you Building 3D GTA WORLD on High end PC!

There's other programs that like a metric ton of RAM as well.

I have 64GB myself, and pushed Photoshop to use 52GB of that at one point. (large digital-composite panoramic pictures use LOT of memory) Never filled up all 64GB, though. So far.

Derron(Posted 2013) [#15]
RAM and HDD prices climbed during the last months as now the results of the burning factory in asia and the floods come to the enduser.

I bought 8gb DDR3 1600 RAM (kit) in January 2012 for 35€, Now the price for the same kit is 70€.

I bought a 2 TB external HDD in december 2010 for 75€. Now the cheapest 3 TB HDDs in Germany are about 95€.

So the conclusion for me is: at the moment this is the wrong time to buy memory or storage devices. Exception is: you have 0 bytes of RAM and need some. Why? Think during the next 6 months the price will still climb (or not fall).
Also you wont need more than 8-16GB during the next months with the exception of:
- running multiple virtual machines (newer VMs tend to want more RAM as they run more current software)
- having to render/calculate big resolutions/datapacks
- huge-scale image manipulation with multiple layers of also huge-scaled bitmap data

Most of that things aren't used/done by normal consumers.

bye
Ron

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2013) [#16]
Well my rule is only to upgrade something when I come across something that actually needs to use the resources rather than just upgrading for the hell of it. For this reason I am only using 4 GB of RAM on Win 7 64 bit for my home machine.

I have yet to come across any game or program that needs to use more memory than I have so I haven't bothered going to 8GB yet. When I find something that needs more for home use I will upgrade but until then it seems kind of pointless.

Darkheart

popcade(Posted 2013) [#17]
32bit is common on recent Atom NetBooks using Z27XX family, but don't even consider using them for games.

64bit should be capable for Desktop PCs from 2009 and later.... so upgrade is viable.

But the new 2013 Atom models Z37XX supports 64bit natively, the only problems the Win8.1 tablets will came with 32bit version of OS.....

So, since you have source, compile a 32bit version in case.

Matty(Posted 2013) [#18]
The only thing that will make me upgrade is when Microsoft stops releasing security updates for WinXP...either that or I'll just use my phone and ignore the PC world...

Calibrator(Posted 2013) [#19]
> I wasn't aware of this, this is pretty low, even for M$.

It may be "pretty low" that you are limited to 16GB with a "home version OS" but what is implanting somebody into a company in trouble to intentionally run it down and then sell the rubble to MS (with the resulting loss of jobs)?
I call that low.

And personally, I've yet to find an application at HOME to make use of my 16GB (running Win7 x64) and I run graphics (intensive) applications all the time. I'm now often in the 4 to 8 GB range and I run a RAM/VM status display all the time on my G19 (that means: even in games).
In two to three years the situation will probably have changed but then the successor of Win8 will be in the shops...

Launch of Windows 7 Home Premium (memory limit: 16 GB): Oct. 2009
Launch of Windows 8 ("regular Win8" memory limit: 128 GB): Oct. 2012
See what I mean?

What *I* wish for is more applications using more than a single core.
Mainstream games, which I pretty much avoid now on the PC, are surely making use of multi-cores right now (they do that on the consoles, don't they?) but what I see is still too many applications, including stuff like graphics filters that are limited to a single core.

I'm now on my third multi-core in my main PC (two dual cores and now a quad core) and CPU performance has effectively only risen thanks to bigger caches, optimized architecture and higher clock frequencies aka "Turbo Mode"...

> The only thing that will make me upgrade is when Microsoft stops releasing security updates for WinXP...

You don't have to wait for long, Matty:
http://countingdownto.com/countdown/143839

> either that or I'll just use my phone and ignore the PC world...

Bye then!

big10p(Posted 2013) [#20]
+1. I had no idea about this.

*(Posted 2013) [#21]

What *I* wish for is more applications using more than a single core.
Mainstream games, which I pretty much avoid now on the PC, are surely making use of multi-cores right now (they do that on the consoles, don't they?) but what I see is still too many applications, including stuff like graphics filters that are limited to a single core.

+1 on that to many things these days churn on the first core meaning it crawls, yes there are programs to switch it to another core but surely these days coders should take it into account for AAA titles.