Installing on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Installing on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit

JoshK(Posted 2013) [#1]
I extracted BlitzMax to a folder and double-click MaxIDE. Nothing happens.

I ran the script here:
http://blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=88613

But it just gives me this error:
install.sh: 38: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

How do I install BlitzMax on Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit?

JoshK(Posted 2013) [#2]
Running this in terminal allowed the IDE to open:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Now when I try to compile anything I get these errors:
Building untitled1
Compiling:untitled1.bmx
flat assembler  version 1.68  (32768 kilobytes memory)
3 passes, 1008 bytes.
Linking:untitled1.debug
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find crt1.o: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find crti.o: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6/libstdc++.so when searching for -lstdc++
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6/libstdc++.a when searching for -lstdc++
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lstdc++
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lm
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6/libgcc_s.so when searching for -lgcc_s
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6/libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpthread
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6/libgcc_s.so when searching for -lgcc_s
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s
/usr/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.6/libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find crtn.o: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#3]
Try running this script.
But before you do make sure you have ran sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade (or use the GUI update tool).
skidracers is well out of date as ia32 was replaced by ia32-libs-multiarch. This package installs all of the 32bit libraries.
Installing the individual libraries is time consuming if your trying to keep the system as a pure 64bit.
But if your not to fussed adding :i386 to the end of a dev package should install the 32bit development packages, but breaks 64bit builds.

JoshK(Posted 2013) [#4]
Yay, now I can print "Hello world".

I am copying your script here for redundancy:

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#5]
Glad you found that it worked for you. There is another script on the same post that fixes some of the issues with sound and dlopen@@... error.

JoshK(Posted 2013) [#6]
Hi Jason. I would like to email you if you don't mind. I looked at your profile but there is no address listed. Could you dtop me a line at joshklint (at) leadwerks.com? Thanks.

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#7]
Josh don't use the virginmedia email as the server isn't recognising my password.