Can't get Maxmod2 to compile on Mint 11

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Can't get Maxmod2 to compile on Mint 11

pmc(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi guys.

I have a bunch of old Blitz stuff I did under Windows NT with MaxMod2 for audio and I want to continue to work on it on my Linux box. But I can't get the module to build. I get a compile error on maxmod2.h. Here's the error:

Build Error: failed to compile /home/pmc/BlitzMax/mod/maxmod2.mod/maxmod2.mod/code/file.cpp

I'm running Mint 11 64-bit on an AMD CPU and using Blitz 1.42.

IDE seems to work fine and all my stuff compiles and runs OK. Just no sound. Any ideas?

pmc(Posted 2013) [#2]
Ah. Partially fixed. It needed to be in bah.mod. Seems to build OK. The older maxmod seems to build too.

But still some problems. First off, I compiled something with the built-in sound stuff and now realize I have no sound at all -- so I guess I need to fix that first. How to get sound working? I've got an AC97 chipset (which is never simple to use with Linux) .

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#3]
Hi pmc

First thing is why are you using a version of mint that is now obsolete? If any thing you should upgrade Linux Mint 13 which is supported until 2017. Support for Linux Mint 11 finished last October 2012.

How to get sound working? I've got an AC97 chipset

If you can play music via a media player then the problem is with either the maxmod2 or Blitz Max freeaudio driver. The default audio driver was set to used OSS/ALSA which got flaky round that time so you either have three choices.
1.. Locate skidraces ALSA fix
2.. Use skidracers PulseAudio driver
3.. Use OpenAL.

Yan(Posted 2013) [#4]
First thing is why are you using a version of mint that is now obsolete?
I've been using Mint 5 on one of my old lappies for years, and I haven't been struck by lightning...Yet!

pmc(Posted 2013) [#5]
First thing is why are you using a version of mint that is now obsolete? If any thing you should upgrade Linux Mint 13 which is supported until 2017. Support for Linux Mint 11 finished last October 2012.

Yeah... I know that quite well. The repositories even went offline on me. But it's a very established setup and I've been reticent to upgrade because I have a ton of work to do to recreate my environment fresh again. I figured I'd save it for a winter project and keep this things limping along until then (it's my main computer for everything).

The default audio driver was set to used OSS/ALSA

I figured that's what it is. I've had trouble with plenty of other stuff for similar reasons (games that had no sound, Rosegarden never outputs sound, etc.). But sound in general -- media players et al -- works fine once the OS config was set up right.

2.. Use skidracers PulseAudio driver

I found this last night:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=93662

The problem is that the libpulse-dev package is no longer available. I tried some older ones but got into some dependency trouble. I can't get pulseaudiodevice.cpp to build because it can't find simple.h which is in that package which I can't get. This was a dead-end for me.

3.. Use OpenAL.

If that means just add SetAudioDriver("OpenAL") to the top of my code, I can tell you that it didn't work. I tried a bunch of different driver names and nothing worked. Everything builds and runs, but no sound.

1.. Locate skidraces ALSA fix

I'll look for this tonight. Thanks for the lead.

I really appreciate the help. My kid has been pestering me to get this working and I didn't want to have to move to a VM just for this.

FWIW, I don't think I have maxmod set up right yet, but that'll come next I guess (and yeah, I know that's obsolete too).

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#6]
I've been using Mint 5 on one of my old lappies for years, and I haven't been struck by lightning...Yet!
Which means that ever time you take it into a storm (i.e. THE INTERNET) your chances of being struck by lighting increase. Unless the Mint team are still doing security update for a version that old.