[solved, ignore] (Reclocking GPU with Nouveau)

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/[solved, ignore] (Reclocking GPU with Nouveau)

Yasha(Posted 2013) [#1]
Idiot-n00b question incoming...!

I am currently running LMDE with the Nouveau driver. Apparently one problem Nouveau has is that it can't reclock the GPU easily to bring it up to full speed, which is a big part of why it suffers from poor performance compared to the official Nvidia driver.

According to Phoronix, it is not especially hard to simply do this manually, at some risk of it failing to work properly: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=nouveau_reclocking_one&num=1

That looks easy enough, but I simply don't understand the instructions: I am too much of a Linux n00b to actually comprehend what 'boot your system with the "nouveau.perflvl_wr=7777" kernel module parameter' is supposed to mean. I have tried adding 'option nouveau perflvl_wr=7777' to a new file /etc/modprobe.d/nouveau.conf - that did nothing. I have tried adding the quoted string itself to /etc/default/grub as part of GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT - that also did nothing and does not show up as part of /proc/cmdline either.

The second step in the instructions seems simple enough ( 'echo 2 > /sys/class/drm/card0/device/performance_level' ?), but it obviously doesn't work on its own.

Can someone explain what on earth I'm even looking at? I clearly have no real comprehension of what the first step even is, let alone how to go about it (the above "attempts" are just mindless flailing as I try to imitate what more knowledgeable people seem to have done to make it work). That probably means I shouldn't prod what I don't understand, but on the other hand... graphics card twice as fast.

EDIT: turns out I simply forgot to run update-grub2 after adding the parameter. For the record I did think I had done this when I posted this question, I don't know why I thought I had when I hadn't. Doing it properly and the method works.

The graphics card, on the other hand, did not. No reclock for me, but that's a separate and effectively-unsolvable problem for the moment.