How (if at all) will this affect BlitzMax?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/How (if at all) will this affect BlitzMax?

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#1]
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07/11/ubuntu_1310_to_ship_with_mir_instead_of_x/

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#2]
Well every time there's a new release of a distribution something breaks with old software. Depending on how Canonical have implemented mir and the support for xserver we will not find out until it's finally released.
But my money is on it breaking judging by how well unity desktop works with my Geforce GTX295.
According to distro-watch Linux Mint in first place, but you can't rely on that for accuracy because as soon as there is a new release it changes.
Give it a few more years and Blitz Max wont work on any distribution of Linux without a major over-haul which I can't see happening.

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#3]
Give it a few more years and Blitz Max wont work on any distribution of Linux without a major over-haul which I can't see happening.

Well, all of the official modules are open-source now, so there's no reason why there wouldn't be a working version available, and nothing to say why it wouldn't be included in a later edition of BlitzMax.

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#4]
Well, all of the official modules are open-source now, so there's no reason why there wouldn't be a working version available, and nothing to say why it wouldn't be included in a later edition of BlitzMax.
Only time will tell there Brucey. We will just have to wait and see what happens when it does get to that point.

Yasha(Posted 2013) [#5]
existing X applications can also run via an X implementation that runs on top of the Mir server. In fact, he said, the patches required to allow today's X servers to run on Mir amount to fewer than 500 lines of code.

-- the article

Stuff will break (it always does), but it will be Ubuntu's fault when it does, and bug reports will be their responsibility to fix for the most part. Report problems to them and help them make their layer work as designed.

After all there are tens of thousands of non-BlitzMax apps out there that will be affected by this too.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#6]

This is indeed a fear as I am starting on something for Linux using BM that will take approximately two years.

Well, all of the official modules are open-source now, so there's no reason why there wouldn't be a working version available

Some keep hoping for an improved version of MaxGUI for Linux. LOL

Sub_Zero(Posted 2013) [#7]
What's the problem? I will even pay extra ;)