Cant get MaxIDE to run on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Cant get MaxIDE to run on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit

TomToad(Posted 2013) [#1]
I have installed Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit. I have run the script Here. I have installed the NVidia 3D drivers. however, when I click the MaxIDE icon, nothing happens. If I open a terminal, I get No such file or directory.
chris@ubuntu:~/BlitzMax$ ls -l
total 1719
drwxrwxr-x  2 chris chris    1024 Jun 23 09:14 bin
drwxrwxr-x  2 chris chris    1024 Jun 23 09:14 doc
drwxrwxr-x  3 chris chris    1024 Jun 23 09:14 docs
-rwxrwxrwx  1 chris chris 1695844 Apr 15  2012 MaxIDE
drwxrwxr-x  5 chris chris    1024 Jun 23 09:14 mod
drwxrwxr-x 18 chris chris    1024 Jun 23 09:14 samples
drwxrwxr-x  6 chris chris    1024 Jun 23 09:14 src
-rw-r--r--  1 chris chris   47913 Apr 15  2012 versions.txt
chris@ubuntu:~/BlitzMax$ ./MaxIDE
bash: ./MaxIDE: No such file or directory
chris@ubuntu:~/BlitzMax$ 

As you can see, i have the executable permission set, The file is in the directory, but it wont work.

Derron(Posted 2013) [#2]
I just assume you are missing "ia32-libs".

So just do:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

bye
Ron

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#3]
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
Should automatically be installed when ia32-libs-multiarch is installed on a 64bit version. An his output would have said unable to load such and such lib if he was missing anything.

Sound like the bash shell isn't recognising ./ try and use
sh MaxIDE
( or is it sh ./MaxIDE?) instead happens to me on the odd occasion.

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#4]
Never had to put sh in front of anything before.

What happens when you run :
bin/bmk

?

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#5]
Never had to put sh in front of anything before.
Had to to it a few times it just depended on what I was trying to run, but never had to do it with MaxIDE.

Or if TomToad is using this Ubuntu may not be using /usr/local/bin in it's path. I had this problem with Epson drivers that put a script in this directory.

TomToad(Posted 2013) [#6]
tried to install ia32-libs, but apt-get told me I needed to install ia32-libs-multiarch. When I tried to install that, it told me I needed libglapi-mesa:i386. After installing that, the MaxIDE finally worked. now to try and compile something.

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#7]
I have installed the NVidia 3D drivers.
Were these the drivers that you installed from the Ubuntu repositories? Or were they from the nvidia site?

TomToad(Posted 2013) [#8]
Were these the drivers that you installed from the Ubuntu repositories? Or were they from the nvidia site?

they are the official NVidia drivers, but they were installed via "Settings/Additinal Drivers" dialogue. Did finally get the IDE to work and successfully compile a program. Seems that not all the packages installed from the script from this post and i had to install them manually one-by-one.

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#9]
Did the the script detect that your system was 64bit?

Edit: OK just tested the script out on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. For some reason the shell isn't recognising the uname instruction when you run the script as sudo, but appears to work if you run it as a normal user and enter your password when it asks for it.
Don't you just love Ubuntu......NOT. Almost as bad as Fedora 64bit

Derron(Posted 2013) [#10]

Me: sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
Dawlane: Should automatically be installed when ia32-libs-multiarch is installed on a 64bit version. An his output would have said unable to load such and such lib if he was missing anything.

That is the crux with ia32-libs, if they miss you get the message about a file not found ... that is why people tend to run against a wall in that situation.

JFYI: in most cases one just could "ldd binaryfile" to see if some things are missing (broken "libs").

bye
Ron